false alarms

I have a 2003 ES-300.

Sometimes the alarm (horn) goes off for no apparent reason. It has happened a couple of times while the car was parked in my garage. The last time it happened I pushed a button on the key (either to lock the doors or to unlock the doors - I forgot which) and the horn stopped.

What gives? The dealer said all is AOK. Should I routinely lock up the car while it is in my garage?

Thanks.

Reply to
Alan Spitz

Do you have the keys in your pocket at home?

Reply to
Ray O

Have you checked your garage for small, quiet, quick intruders? Take a sack of flour and the next time you get out of the car, lock it. Then take the bag of flour and spread it on the floor around the car, being carefull not to step into the flour as you exit the garage. Then when you hear the car alarm going off, simply yell loudly to scare the intruder off, and go out and look for footprints in the flour. Make sure you can recognize your footprints - perhaps carve your initials in the bottom of your shoes or in your feet if you are not wearing shoes. Well, don't carve the initials toooo deep in your feet. Of course then the blood would be easily recognizable so maybe you only need to put a couple of pin pokes into your feet if you are barefoot. And do be carefull to only use real American flour that you have paid full price for in a regular store. Some of those dollar stores are carrying counterfit foreign flour with all sorts of dangerous chemicals and germs in it. But if your theif is barefooted, it might be better to use the foreign counterfit flour since he or she might get sick and die. Of course if you have a spare glass, you could break it and spread the glass around the car, but not behind it or in front of it and that way the intruder would be more likely to cut their feet and contract a deadly disease from the the counterfit flour. And the flour will help hide the glass from the intruder. If you don't find any footprints, then it is possible that you didn't really have an intruder trying to steal your car. Or they could have been hiding in the car in the back seat behind you and they just got out and climbed on top of the car and jumped out of the garage. So maybe you should buy a second bag of flour and spread it on top of the car also. Or you could just check for unlocked doors of opened windows. When you have done all this in carefull detail, you may be assured that you have eliminated the most likely cause of car alarm malfunction today, the sneaky intruder trying to steal it. And that would leave it as a malfunction of the car. But as we all know, these cars are perfect and do not malfunction, so in this case you may assume you are going deaf and hearing ringing or honking noises. So then you should be carefull to go to the car and get in it and drive carefully to the nearest doctor to get your hearing checked. Which is probably the reason for Ray's question about having the keys in your pocket at home - he simply wants to make sure you are ready to drive off and find medical assistance because he has worked on these and knows they do not break.

mcbrue in the trailer down by the river under the bridge not prejudiced against kudzu

Reply to
mcbrue

Yes, I do.

Reply to
Alan Spitz

Try removing the keys from your pocket and see if the problem goes away. I've noticed that whatever provides resistance to the back side of the buttons on the keys can lose tension, making them easier to press inadvertently.

Reply to
Ray O

OK, the keys get easier to press. Even without flour on the garage floor. But why should pressing a key accidently set off the car alarm?

Reply to
mcbrue

Shirley, you can't be serious.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

No, trust me, she's serious. To understand Ray O's question requires a (very small) amount of deductive reasoning. Clearly something the brew-meister has none of.

A: I'll tell you tomorrow.

Reply to
Giga

I'll share the reason I asked the question when the OP responds. :-)

Reply to
Ray O

Heh...I've witnessed that reason at the home of a friend. In that case, it was a Chrysler; fortunately the Lexus is a little less susceptible.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

Who is the OP?

Do you mean that the car theft alarm can be set off by pushing one of the keys on the key fob? Is that what the panic button is for? They never told me that and I seldom unlock this car by the remote so I have not pushed too hard on it or whatever you have to do Once you set it off, what do you have to do to stop it? I have noticed that this car has to be unlocked in different ways depending on how you lock it. Like if you lock it with the key fob, sometimes you have to use the fob to unlock it, but not always. In fact I am going to ask the stealership about that next time I have to go in there.

Reply to
mcbrue

Are all those buttons just too confusing for you? Poor little Brew-Jerk. Just can't figure 'em out. Perhaps you'd like us to draw you a picture? Fewer words probably would be better for your tiny little mind. Here's an idea: Don't lock your car at all. This way, maybe someone will steal it, and then you won't have to worry about the stigma of owning a non-"Luxury" car ('cause I know how important that is to you). Collect the insurance (assuming you have any), and buy yourself a nice luxury Kia (yes, I hear they are "true" luxury cars. Really really!).

Reply to
Giga

Reply to
The Visitor

Accidentally found out that by locking the car normally (pressing the button on one of the doors) twice, you cannot unlock the trunk with the FOB in your pocket, you have to use the inside button on the drop down watchmacallit... wish Lexus had programmed all those options on the touch screen.

/N.

Reply to
kitzler

Careful, Kitzler. You sound as if you are vindicating McBrue. There are some here who would take offense at that.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Larry Rogers

O MY GOODNESS !!!!!!! Someone other than me criticized the Lexus !!!! (Well, someone else did mention the wonderfull world of the Lexus automaticaly incorrectly speeded magic windshield wipers). Remember that this newsgroup is funded by Lexus and only favorable comments are allowed. Unfavorable comments may be regarded as terrorist attacks on Lexus and reported to the homeland security department of peacefull newsgroups for hasty and deep internment of the guilty party.