Fast-blinking turn signal 98 ES300

My left turn signal has just started blinking fast. (Right functions normally)

Bulbs are fine, as they seem to light with normal intensity - just faster now. I always thought that indicated a bad bulb, so I'm puzzled.

Anyone ever experience this, or have any ideas?

Reply to
njbok

Very common.

The contacts are not making a tight connection with the bulb....Remove the bulb, clean it's contacts and those in the socket, and bend the contacts upward in the socket to increase the spingforce against the bulb.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-this.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Thanks Curtis.

Hmmm.......I just looked at the front light assembly, and it looks like quite a puzzle as to how to get it out to get at the bulbs. Is there a quick way to get at the bulbs? Or is there a website that has some pictures? I guess I wouldn't make a very good mechanic, if I can't even figure out how to get at a lightbulb.

(I can't imagine how much the dealer would charge me to do it.)

Reply to
njbok

I don't think its the connector, but rather the blinker relay. Had the same exact thing happen to mine a while back. A new relay is like 5 buck.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Thanks Dan. I'll take a look at that.............

Reply to
njbok

It was indeed the bulb contacts Curtis. The bulb was good - just cleaned and reseated as you said. Thanks.

Reply to
njbok

Removing front lamp assembly and correcting a fast flashing blinker. (This is the procedure for a '96 ES300. I would assume that other models are basically the same.)

  1. Open the hood and remove the plastic clips that hold the front plastic splash guard in place. This is done by pushing on the center of the plastic buttons to depress them slightly. The button (clip) can then be removed. For the buttons (clips) with the philips head center, lift the philips head center until you hear a click and then remove the whole clip.

  1. Remove the plastic splash guard.

  2. Remove the three 10mm bolts that hold the lens assembly to the fender.

  1. On the fender side of the lamp assembly there is a plastic clip that is inserted in a small flange which is part of the fender. Use a flat screwdriver to put pressure on the back of the post that protrudes thru this clip. This post, that is part of the lamp assembly, helps to hold the assemble in the correct position. Once that post is free of the clip the lens assembly can easily be removed.

  2. Un-clip the wires to the main headlights and the the parking/turn signal lamp and remove the lens assembly from the vehicle.

  1. In the case of a fast blinking turn signal, remove the turn signal bulb, test to be sure it is good, and clean the contacts of the blub, bulb holder, and the printed circuit strip on the lamp assembly.

7, Reassemble everything and test.

  1. Replace the lamp assemble in the fender and secure the splash guard with the clips.

  2. This should be about a 1/2 hour job.
Reply to
racerbill