Fixing antenna '98 ES300?

For some reason, my car's antenna isn't working very well since I only receive two or three stationa. Where is the antenna located? How can I check if it's not 'broken'?

Thanks.

Reply to
VMI

I believe that the antenna is embedded in the rear window. The rear defroster lines run horizontally, and the antenna wires are above and/or below the defroster wires, and do not run straight from one side of the window to the other.

If any of the wires are scratched, you need to repair the scratch because the effect would be to shorten or cut off the antenna. You can buy special conductive defroster wire touch-up paint at auto parts stores and use it to repair the antenna wires.

If none of the wires are scratched, check the connection at the back of the radio, and if that is good, check the condition of the coaxial wire from the antenna grid to the radio. If all that is good, check the radio.

Reply to
Ray O

Well there is also the question of how many radio stations there are around the car. If there are only two or three, then the system is probably operating ok and no need to worry!

Quite seriously, I did not know you could apply some sort of conductive glue to an antenna wire and fix it - sounds like a neat idea! What surprises me is that the wires would be available to touch! Guess they would have to be on the inside of the window, cause on the outside they could all get scraped off in the winter months. But in the car, dratted kids and what not could scratch them off. Hmmm ... gotta go find a lawyer ... think one of my kids just electrocuted himself on the back window ...

Reply to
mcbrue