Fuel Guage Problem

Hi All:

I owned a '94 Lexus LS400 and the fuel guage on my instrumental panel always points at 'E', then after 20 mins of driving, it will go up to

3/4 full (if it is full tank). Try to figure out whether it is electrical (circuit board) or fuel guage in the gas tank is broken....

Anyone have the same problem ? Please share your repair experience.

BR,

V.

Reply to
e2vincent

Everyone will have this problem, if they bought a '93 or '94 LS 400 and drive it long enough. The instrument cluster power supply has a somewhat defective design and needs to be replaced every 10 years or so.

Lexus claims that 10 years is long enough and they will asks for $1000 - $2000 for a new power supply depending on the country you live in, but 3rd parties, like Jim Walker, do repair your cluster for $150-$225 depending on skill and reputation. You can find several people who repair the cluster from

by inserting keywords:

"lexus instrument cluster repair"

I had mine repaired by Jim Walker and the problem went away. The problem was at its worst after cold nights. There are also cheaper repair people, but I found good statements on lexus sites about Jim's work, so I shipped mine to Jim. The soldiering work he did was amazingly professional: it was impossible to tell afterwards which parts he had changed from the instrument cluster power supply board.

If you drive with the instrument cluster off (during the repair), changes are that the SRS light will go on. Your local Lexus shop will reset that for $20 or so.

Reply to
Jyrki Alakuijala