GPS System Suggestions

Anyone have any suggestions with what GPS systems fit well on the dash of an IS300? I bought a used 2003 IS300 and want to get a GPS system?

thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I have the Garmin Streetpilot 2610. Awesome. You can buy it at Circuit City and return it within 30 days if you are not happy...test drive it. Actually, Garmin now has the 2620 which has all of America on the hard drive. My unit only holds a few states at a time on a Compact Flash card. The 2620 is the same great unit with all data on the hard drive. And it's BETTER than an in-dash unit because you can put it in a camera bag when you fly and rent a car...where you REALLY need it.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Only those who have done this with this specific model will know -- a very small number. The dealers who install these (Alpine, Pioneer, some others) know what fits because the manufacturers know the dimensions.

More important in my view is how they work. I would travel to other cities if only dealers there could show me. Some systems are a great disappointment.

Reply to
Jay Swinger

HUH? The Garmin is PORTABLE. It sits on a bean bag neatly on your dash and requires NO installation. Works better than the "in dash" unit in my 2004 LS430. Really! Sometimes it takes a bit longer to find the satellite, but it's really not a problem. This unit is BETTER THAN LEXUS. And there is no installation required. Go buy the Garmin at Circuit City or somewhere else where you can return it if you don't like it. You'll keep it, but at least you have the security of knowing that you can "test drive" it first!

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

I'd be interested in specifically what ways the Garmin is better than the Lexus GPS.

The advantages I would see for the Lexus system are:

  1. Larger screen
  2. Tied in to the audio system so the audio is muted when instructions are being given by the GPS.

HBH

Reply to
Helmar Herman

Easier input for one. For another you can change the input "on the fly". I find my Lexus unit a PIA because you cannot enter addresses while driving. Yeah, dangerous I am told...but in the real world there are times you wanna make a change on the fly. The main other advantage is that my LS430 doesn't fit into a camera bag for when I fly 'n rent...which is when I REALLY need a GPS. Also, the Lexus has some road errors that the Garmin seems to have corrected. Plus they do internet updates FREE from time to time.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Yes, there are road errors because only a small percentage of roads and numbers are certified by people on land. I am convinced the Lexus depends a great deal on you entering a street address which has to be in the database. AND the creation of that database is what was so much work that lasted so long. AND that is why their data (road errors) are so out of date.

Put another way: When they start with a new version of a nav system they want the latest and greatest maps and data from Navtek or whoever did the aerial surveys and compiled that part. Then they lock it up and start creating the database and doing the indexing. By the time they get it into the cars 18 months OR MORE has gone by since the aerial photos were made.

If the system didn't depend on a database but on a search engine, they might be able to use data that is 12 to 15 months fresher. Also, if it were able to use some of the characteristics of a mapping / routing program, it might be easier to set. The routing programs are more timely and they will still locate addresses. Wait, wait, I believe there are more errors on specific addresses in the routing programs. If you are trying for the exact address, the Lexus nav system may be more reliable than the routing programs.

But, for cross-country driving, the exact spot you are going to cross needs to be IN THE ROAD for a guidance program or it is not going to release that point. It will continue to try to get you to make U-turns to return.

Finally, please do reconsider adding or changing addresses as you drive. I guarantee you will be sorry if you have an accident.

Reply to
Jay Swinger

I have both systems, as I am a backpacker and have the Garmin for use in my truck. Each unit has their own strength.

I will tell you that as far as use in a vehicle, the in dash unit is much simpler and easier to use. Visually, it is a clearner, more readable display and the interface is much simpler and user friendly.

I do not think sitting a bean bag, or sticky tape velcro/mount, on my dash is a classy thing to do. Think about this, the Garmin is much easier to rip off. Since it is easy to install, it is easy to take out, and I do not want to waste time stashing it every time I lock the vehicle. And the mount is a flag.

Jim

PS: I would not go into the wilderness without my trusty Garmin.

Reply to
netnews