Hard-wiring a Valentine V1

I would like to hard wire my V1 using existing power and grounds in the roof map lights/ sunroof area in my LX-470

Anyway, my questions are this- what roof 12V line do I use (I really want a "switched" one) and can anyone provide tips how to access same? Also, for grounding, will I need a "torx", allen wrench, or are there normal nuts/bolts to deal with.

Perhaps another Lexus owner (not necessarily a 470) has done this, any help would be appreciated.

Thx, rt

Reply to
rt

I've done this exact thing on a '96 LS400 with an Escort/Passport. The problem for me in the LS (and may well be the same prob in your LX) is that none of the 12v circuits I could find were controlled by the ignition switch, meaning that my accessory was going to be continuously powered and I'd have to shut if off manually. To me that's a PITA because I'm festidious about making sure doors are closed and nothing is left "on". (the surprise of 1 unexpectedly dead battery some morning when you're already running late will cure you of this kind of carelessness, at least it did me)

Gaining access was somewhat easier than it originally looked. Just "pull" the surrounding molding piece. With some perseverence, it pops off. You won't find any bolt or screw hardware holding it in place because there isn't any. It snaps in place. Wires were all machine-crimped, so I just used a couple "ScotchLok" wire-piercing crimp lugs (Radio Shack) to sort of bridge onto the circuits (both hot and ground)

If I had it to do over, I think I would have gone a couple steps further and run a separate wire around through the window trim and door post to get down to a switched hot lead. Yeah, a lot more work, but to me it would mean better functionality.

Reply to
New Owner

I hear you.

However, both of our moonroofs *are* switched, I believe. Seems like that could be the solution, if only I had some schematics.

And, like you say, I did this before in another vehicle (other than the Bimmer, which was switched)- a Dodge 1500 quadcab if you can believe it and yepper- dead battery!

rt

Reply to
rt

Good luck! If you have a voltage tester, try probing some of the wires.

Got the same truck (97) and did the same thing. Hard to imagine a device that pulls less than 100 milliamps could sap the battery. No, not overnight, but over a long 4-day holiday weekend. I was NOT a happy camper. Also had a problem w/the Escort, if left on and allowed to roast inside a hot vehicle parked in the summer sun it craps out and pops up with a message "Service Required". Removing power and allowing it to cool off seemed to clear the message but for an almost new $300 device it sure made the old heart skip a beat.

I'm not the primary driver of the Lex. That's my wife's car and she only uses it to go 6 blocks to the grocery store a couple times a week, hence only 52k miles on a '96. I only have the one Escort and it stays w/me in the truck unless we're going on a road trip. Been pretty happy with it. Never tried the V1 but the Escort/Passport runs circles around everything else I tried (comparison points being range, immunity from falsing and stealth). A family friend is a State Trooper in Virginia and we tested it last summer with his radar detector "detector" and passed w/flying colors. He admitted tho that they cannot see hardly any of the new breed of detectors.

Reply to
New Owner

FYI, and for the benefit of others who may be wondering how to do this- there is a switched 12V wire (red) going to the auto-dim headlights.

rt

Reply to
rt