Hose and belt replacement

I have a 98 GS400. The hoses and belt look good. At what interval did you have yours replaced?

Reply to
Randy Kalal

This is Turtle.

i have this set of rules of engine items on my LS-400 or anyother form of transportation and that is change them every 50K miles / 3 years or trade it off.

Now you can pick up the phone and call the Lexus dealership near you and ask about the time limits on the hoses and belts and they will probley tell you what Lexus has to say.

I just checked my LS-400 manual and it says change every 60K or every 72 months. Also to inspect every 12K and replace as need be. That 72 months / 6 years just seems too long for me on changing them.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
Randy Kalal

Why does that seem too long, have you ever seen a Toy/Lex belt break? After 6 years and 115k miles on my v6 Camry I finally replaced mine, but only because I was changing the timing belt for the first time. Even that looked good when replaced.

Reply to
Beezer

This is Turtle.

I guess it's the ideal that if the belt breaks, you are on the side of the road till you can get another one. It's just hell tring to get home with out a belt on it. You must be a trusting soul but I'm not.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

This is Turtle.

The 95 LS-400 plainly says 60k or 72 months. They may have went up on the mileage but I do know there is some motor changes between the 98 and the 95 for the whole top of the motor is different and also i was reading about the newer

96 and up till 2000 was just a little bit more horse power. Now the 2001 and newer has a hold lot more horse power like 50+ more H.P. and .3 liters more volume of the engine displacement.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but here is what i was told.

90 to 95 = 250 H.P.. 96 to 00 = 265 H.P.. 01 to 05 = right at 300 H.P. .

So they may have changed something on the 95 verses the 98 models.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

TURTLE - You seem to know a lot about these LS's. Unfortunately, there was a little bit of mis-information on the HP...

Here is what is accurate:

90 to 95 = 250 H.P. 96 to 97 = 265 H.P. 98 to 00 = 295 H.P. ('98 was the year they introduced the VVTi engine with the 5 speed auto) 01 to 05 = 290 H.P.

according to Lexus website. I own a 98, and that was the reson I waited until '98 to buy - I got the updated engine, and tranny. btw, 160k miles, and i do nothing but put oil, gas, and tires on her. (needs to have the timing belt done, i am told - but i will wait until it breaks (usually around 250k). Oh, i guess I have had those HUGE brakes replaced up front a few times.

Solid as a rock!

Reply to
you wish

This is Turtle.

Yea, Thank for the HP up date here.

The timing belt just getting too bad is not bad but I've been told that you don't want the belt to break at 70+ MPH for it can bend some valves if it snaps at high speed. This is not me but a fellow who does some work on them said that. i don't see how but anything is possible now days.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Are you saying that you still have the original timing belt at 160k? Wow, that's impressive. I've heard stories of timing belts lasting longer than

180k. Did anybody actually have one break?
Reply to
Rog

Reply to
mikstp

This is Turtle.

I'm not for sure about this at all but I do know 1990 Volvo GL-740 [ I think ] did bend the valves when the belt broke on it. I watch them pull it out and it bent 3 of them. It had the double over head cam with two cam shafts.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
mikstp

This is Turtle.

I do remember looking at the pistons of the Volvo GL 7XX something Station wagon

4 cyclinder with double over head cam of my dad's when they took it down. The car was going about 70 mph when the belt broke and made a boom sound. It did not hurt the lower part of the engine but just the head and valves. they just heated up the head for 8 hour in a furnace and let it cool in the vice to hold it straight. Then replace all the valve with new ones. My Dad started getting the stuff changed when he was suppose to.

Hey I have a question here for you or maybe other about the 1991 LS-400 and the

1995 LS-400 . I have both of them and have seen this. The 91 LS400 has good get up and go but the 95 LS-400 has ZOOM and also get up and go. What gives here a bad motor , something wrong with the 91 , or What ? They are suppose to be the same but you can tell a big difference in the 91 and the 95 and the 95 having the Haul ass ability.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
mikstp

This is Turtle.

I don't listen to any BS by any dealer or car maker and when the give it to me it sticks like water off a duck's back. This is from me running it on a set distance on both car and got different effects. When I bought the 91 there is a bridge here that is about a 1/4 mile long but a little short of it that I run the 91 on and it was in extra power button on and in regular drive. I run it back then and it got 86 to 89 mph in about 3 runs. Now about 8 years later and do the same thing with the 95 and I'm getting 99 to 102. The Same bridge, Same Story, but a different car and more mph . They must have done something to that thing to make a difference. Like you say it could be a VVI change or something like that but something was done to it to make a difference. This is no big deal but I was just wondering about what the change was when there is suppose to be no horse power changes to it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE