How many miles on LS400?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting an LS400 but can only afford something with well over 100K miles. So my question is how good would one of these cars be? Will a LS400 last much past 100K? I've seen them with 170K but can't help thinking I'd be driving on borrowed time until somthing major gives out.

Am I just being too nervous or what?

Alex Devlin

Reply to
Alex Devlin

These are well-made cars, but anything with 100K+ is going to require a lot of maintenance and LS400's aren't cheap to service. As long as you are Ok with the service costs and get a well-maintained and non-crashed car, you should be fine. But I'd budget $2500 for the first year for maintenance and $1500/year beyond.

Most cars sold with 100K+ have a bunch of deferred service by the previous owner. You need a careful check by a mechanic you trust to gauge how much it will cost to put it in good shape.

Personally, there are enough low-miles cars out there that I'd pay the extra for a lower mileage example. If you're looking at, say a 1995 and there are two models with 60K and 120K, the 60K example probably is going to cost maybe $2K more. Since a single repair might run you this much or more, the lower-mileage car is the better bargain, IMHO.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

"markjen" wrote in news:HGFKa.24416$R73.3656@sccrnsc04:

Thanks Mark.

It looks like I'll have to go for a higher mileage car as it'll either be a bank loan or financing through a dealer and I'm limited to what I can afford.

I'd still like to get myself one but I may have to wait a few more years and just get something I can easily afford to maintain just now.

I first bought cars at the time where 100K miles meant it was ready to scrap but now I've driven a few over 100K that ran fine with no problems.

I still feel nervous about getting one of these high mile cars because of the things you mentioned so maybe I'm better taking the safer route.

Alex Devlin

Reply to
Alex Devlin

Unless Mark is an experienced Lexus mechanic, I think his opinion is just an opinion, no more, no less.

I own a '92 LS with 85,000 miles on it and it has been very easy on maintenance costs so far (we've had it for almost 10 years and it lives a life of short commutes daily). I recently was going to replace the PS pump prophylactically because they are supposed to "go" at around 85,000 miles according to stuff I read in this news group. I called our local very experienced, very reputable import repair shop (Rallye Import Automotive of Midland, Michigan) to tell them what I wanted to do and get a price. They said a new PS pump installed would be $590, but they very strongly urged me to not replace it until it actually starts to fail. The said some of their customers have LS's with 200,000 miles and are on the original PS pump. These guys are damned good, honest, and they like to talk cars.

If I were you, I'd call them (989-835-4430) or a similar shop and get an opinion with some real experience behind it.

Reply to
GRL

"GRL" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Thank you also GRL.

I took Marks view as an opinion, as I do yours, to help me decide what to do when the time comes to buy a car. Loving the LS400 as I do I might be tempted to take the plunge anyway.

Thank you all for your opinions and I welcome more from owners with insight.

If anyone knows of a good Lexus mechanic in the Oklahoma area I'd love their contact.

Thanks again to all of you.

Alex Devlin

Reply to
Alex Devlin

My 1990 LS400 has 194K and shows no signs of slowing down. Approx $17K has been spent on maintenance since new over the 13 years, with a majority between 80K and 160K (mix of dealer and 3rd party). This amount includes tires(which will be replaced again this Fall) and oil changes. A small rust spot has developed on the top edge of the driver's side wheel well (which I am deciding whether to fix). If this car is maintained at the same level, I can see no reason why 240K is not possible. As previously stated, it is nice to have a complete maintenance history on the car. A major service can easily cost $2000, but don't occur all that often.

Reply to
Jerohm

Before I bought my LS 430 I asked Lexus some pointed questions about durability. They were surprisingly forthcoming.

They old me the highest mileage LS in the region (KS) was in the KC area and at last record had 320,000 miles on it with no major repairs. The highest mileage local LS clocked 240,000 and had got there on "mostly" routine maintenance. The offered to arrange for me to inspect high-mileage local LS to make their point.

To me the best check is to look for Lexus engine parts. You can't buy them. No one carries heavy repair parts for Lexus automobiles. So they can't make money selling them. So there's not much market. So the cars are durable.

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete

I looked at a 95 with 52k miles today. Was wondering the same thing. How long can I expect to drive this car without it getting outrageously expensive.

So, the age long question emerges. Are these cars really that good or are the owners simply that good at maintaining them? Would you expect to get 200,000+ miles from a Ford Tauras if the same good care was taken of it? I am sure there are Tauras all over town with > 200,000 miles on them.

Doug Fejer

Reply to
Douglas Fejer

I'd tend to think that's the case. My cars typically run 200+ miles. Last before the Lexus was a Mustang GT that was showing 218,000 miles when she was destroyed and the car was still strong, tight, and solid. But if I can run light sedans and Mustang GT's 200K+ miles, how long will a Lexus - already reputed as durable - last with the same care? (I may never find out.)

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete

I own a 96 LS400. I picked it up with 75K with all records, a one owner. It's got a 112K on it now. Runs like a dream. I didn't do the 90K service till about 102K but, never had a problem. I spend $1600 to get the 90K (timing belt, water pump, tune up, breaks and by my choice, the shocks, to keep the great ride). I didn't do it though the Lexus dealer but, a small shop of some guy who knows his stuff and I made sure that he would only use Lexus parts (I double checked the part numbers after it was done).

I hope to have the car for 4-5 more years (I hope less) till, I could afford a LS430. The only thing I wish is I got a 98 with a nav system in it.

I've owned Fords, Chevys, Hondas....The LS400 is the best car I have EVER driven and owned, and worth every dime. I don't want to ever own a different car.

If you can get the records and make sure the service was all done, and taken care of correctly, I would not worry about it that bad, as long as you can get a good deal. It's a car that will last and from what I read, that it's one of the best built cars out there.

Wise man never pays blue book for a car....shop around, you'll find the car at the right price...

Reply to
Dave

Lexus magazine came today. Have a little story about a guy in Utah who bought an '90 LS new in '89 and has over a half million miles on it...and intends to keep right on using it. These things LAST.

Reply to
GRL

My lexus GS300 has $220K mile, and still runs smooth, quiet, and reliable as new. For the 6 years owning, I don't remmember having to fix/repair anything, except for maintenance (timing belt, spark plug, tire, brake, oil change, wire..). The instrument cluster went dark (typical problem for lexus) at 160K mile, found a replacement on eBay for $60. Can't say the samething about the Benz & BMW that I have had (and currently own). The 98 BMW 528 was a nightmare, everything, except the transmission, happened to break one time or another. The 2000 Benz SL500 had so much electrical & roof problems. I had no choice but to dump both. My E320 is so far okey, except for the alignment problem (trust me, it's more than just out of alignment). After the latest fix (after about 5600 times !!!), it seems to be okey. But I only have it for 16K mile, so hard to speak for reliability issue.

Reply to
Con Cac

[SNIP]

There is, today, a 1990 LS in the showroom of Larry Miller Lexus in Murray, UT (south of SLC slightly) with 560K miles. It appears to be in nearly cherry condition. Call the dealership for details.

Reply to
RWEmerson
560,000?

These people should contact Lexus. There is a commmercial in this car.

Reply to
GRL

They (Lexus corproate) wrote it up in Lexus Magazine some months back, in the first issue, I think.

Reply to
RWEmerson

My brother Acura Legend got 350K miles and still running. The Legend is a V6 front wheel drive, so it is more prone to fail than the LS. The LS400 which was built like a tank in my opinion shouldn't have any problem at all. Just imagin how many barrel of gas this thing has sucked in.

The next challenge is, can they make the Hybrid last that long?

Reply to
DaViT

I have a good friend who owns a '90 Camry with almost 600,000 miles, original engine/tranny. Cam lobes look new. Always used synthetic oil.

Reply to
MCAS NV

Could you ask him how many times he changed the engine mount and cv Boot?

Reply to
DaViT

He never changed the boots, but he said he's gone thru 2 sets of axles and struts. He can't clearly remember ever changing the motor mounts, but he thinks he may have done it one time. the car uses no oil, has the original tranny, head has never been off the engine. The original a/c compressor failed at 560k, never fixed, the steering rack replaced around 500k.. I will ask him for detailed log from dealer service (always used dealer) and I will post log here.

Reply to
MCAS NV