Interested in GS300,/400 have question.

Hi,

I like the looks and performance of the GS300/400 cars of 2k+ vintage. I'm interested in purchasing a used one (new ones too dear) very shortly and have a few questions. I have been viewing this newsgroup for the past few weeks and see that the owners are generally quite happy with their Lexus cars.

My question, what were the surprises of ownership of your GS300/400 (preferably), in regards to cost of ownership (maintenance) scheduled and unscheduled (if any)? I'm located in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Maximum

Overall, the GS300/400 have been very reliable vehicles. I've had a few warranty repairs with my GS300, but they've been handled without issue. The car is now out of warranty and I've had no unexpected repairs.

Routine maintenance on a Lexus is pricey if you just take it to the dealer and tell them to do the checks. You can spend upwards of $1K on a 60K check for example. These costs can be reduced if you can find a good independent shop and/or do some of the work yourself. (Unfotunately, doing your own work is made more difficult by the lack of suitable repair manuals at a reasonable cost - the only good option is the Lexus manuals, but they cost several hundred dollars.)

You're not going to find a luxury sports sedan in the class of the GS that is cheaper to maintain. The other options (MB, BMW, Volvo, etc.) are going to cost you more. But maintaining a GS will cost more than an Accord or Camry, and since the vehicle has complex and sophisticated systems, you will occasinally get stung by a big repair bill as the car ages. So if you are truly concerned about upkeep costs, it would be a lot cheaper to take the money you were going to spend on a used GS and buy a new car like an Accord which will come with a warranty. There is no free lunch in a used Lexus.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I have a 1998 GS300. I Have had no major repairs. I am religious about Preventative maintenance... But here are the problems I have had...

Oxygen sensor. (Warranty) Radio LCD Display (Warranty) Headlamp - Moisture (Warranty) Drivers Seat - Tear in seam - New Cover (Warranty) Sun Roof Creak (Warranty)

The only other problems I have had are related to Driving... Like it is real sensitive to Tire Balance.

Reply to
Ben