IS 300 - Tune up questions

First some facts: I have a 2002 IS 300. I know very little about cars I have a basic tool set, but nothing really for cars.

I am due for my 30,000 mile tune, so I spoke to the local garage about whats involved, and I was told:

  1. Change oil -
  2. Change Transmission fluid - 0 (without flushing it), 0 with flush
  3. Change coolant -
  4. Change brake fluid -
  5. Change air filter -
  6. Change cabin filter - Is that everything I need? He said that belts and spark plugs are not changed, just inspected. And I probably had platinum spark plugs, so I don't have to worry about changing them yet.

#1 - I can skip since I just had it done. #2 - A friend of mine told me that it usually costs about $50 to change the transmission fluid. Could my friend and the garage be talking about different things? Because there seems to be a HUGE price difference between the two. #5 - I saw where the air filter was, so I can do this. #6 - I have no idea where this is...is there a website that can show me how to do this. I figure I can do this with just a minimal tool set. #3 and #4 - I will have to have them do.

Thanks

Reply to
tforms1

If you are just doing a drain and refill, you can do it yourself fairly easily. Just make sure that you use the correct automatic transmission fluid as listed in your owner's manual an on the transmission dipstick.. The primary difference in prices is the difference in labor rates.

Look behind the glove box for the cabin filter. Depending on whether there is an access cover at the back of the glove box or whether you have to let the glove box drop down, it should take somewhere between 2 minutes if there is an access cover to 4 minutes if you you let the glove box drop down to change the cabin filter. Your owner's manul may show how to change the filter.

I recommend that you stick to Toyota genuine coolant - you'll be happier in the long run.

Reply to
Ray O