LEXUS Lug Nut tooo tight

I have a problem with a tire on an IS300. The special lug is too tight for the special key. It is slipping off. Anyone could recommend a way to get it off? I tried using WD40 to loosen it but in vain.

Regards,

Ed

Reply to
edwardhhsu

Do you have access to a shotgun?

Anonymous

I feel your pain, I finished up using a chisel on a friends BMW, when the special key failed

I would visit my local dealer, over this side of the pond they are most helpful

Reply to
old man

Yeah:

Then go buy four standard lug nuts and get rid of all those stupid locking things that get in the way of changing the tire when you need to.

If you're worried about people stealing your wheels, see the above link and remember: the boyz in the hood have this same tool, and can get it off quicker than you can with the proper tool. If they want your wheels, they will take your wheels.

The only thing locking lug nuts do is get in the way of honest people trying to change a tire.

Oh, they also look good in the Lexus checklist. I mean, look at us--we use LOCKING lug nuts. Not like that Toyota or Hyundai you're looking at, no siree.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You are not supposed to use an impact gun on locking lug nut keys, but I have not had a problem using one. If you do not have an impact gun, place the key on the locking lug nut, give it a mild rap with a hammer, and then use a breaker bar. Save the WD-40 for other applications - it won't do much good at loosening the lug nut.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Take a look at both the lug and the key to see if you've deformed the inner "cutouts"; if the key is slipping off, it sounds like you've rounded off some edges. If just the key is deformed, most dealer techs have a master set that can be used to match up to and then remove your lug.

Reply to
greg

Reply to
greg

Reply to
aluckyguess

I had a standard lug nut on a BMW that was so tight that the tire dealer coould not remove it. I pondered over it for quite a while. One day I passed Freon 22 gas on it ( that was before the rules on such a thing ) and the lug lossened easily. So the lug probably shrank slightly due to the cold more than the tire rim. So any agent that would freeze the lug might work.

Al

Reply to
AL