Lexus Navigation System - Opinions

I am contemplating the purchase of a new Lexus GS or ES.I take at least one 3000 mile roadtrip a year. I would appreciate opinions (pro or con) on the navigation system. Is it worthwhile or is it just a very expensive option? Thanks.

Alan

Reply to
AlanW

it's very expensive option that is needed by some and not by others, I have it and probably would not get a car without it again

Reply to
jdoe

A GPS navigation system is a very convenient option, especially when traveling on unfamiliar roads. A navigation system is useful even on trips that are less than 3,000 miles. There are aftermarket options that are less expensive to acquire and less expensive to update, but in my opinion, the displays on many are too small to easily read. I see many aftermarket systems that are stuck to the windshield, and it seems like they would be difficult to see in glare conditions, would obstruct the view out of the windshield, and would invite theft. The other advantage of a portable GPS unit is that you can use it in more than one vehicle, even rental cars.

In auto magazine reviews, the Lexus navigation system is usually described as one of the easiest to use, and I agree. Visibility and clarity are good, the in-dash installation looks much more integrated than one stuck to the windshield, and satellite acquisition is much quicker than on my hand-held portable unit. On the negative side, you cannot input destinations while the vehicle is moving unless you purchase an aftermarket kit that bypasses the safety feature, the option is expensive, and update DVD's are expensive.

Reply to
Ray O

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 17:18:07 -0400, AlanW graced this newsgroup with:

it's an expensive option and updates, (which depending on where you live/travel may not be a necessary annual need), are $200+ for the update DVDs but they're much nicer than aftermarket displays haphazardly stuck to the dash or windshield and at least in this area (metro DC area), are a high theft item (the portable ones that is).

I have the OEM nav system in my 02 LS430 and at first, I thought it was an expensive luxury but I can't imagine not having it now. When you need directions *now*, there's absolutely, positively no substitute.

Reply to
Max

I prefer my portable GARMIN NUVI 350, which I use instead of the built in one in my 2004 Lexus LS430. Absolutely, positively the portable GARMIN is the way to go, as you can move it from car to car and use it when fly-n-driving. That being said, buying a high-end vehicle today WITHOUT navigation is somewhat like buying a car without airconditioning...it will save you money upfront and is fine if you can live without it....but if youi don't keep the vehicle for about 7 years, you'll lose more on resale than you will save upfront.

My suggestion, frankly, is to get both. The Garmin can be had for about $400 and the Lexus built-in unit will pay for itself at resale time.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

The system is nearly useless. Very difficult to use with weird little messages. Regular maps are much better. Nobody at the dealers knows much about making it useful either. If you have the time, you can read the two books about it. But I guess you probably want to buy one - the next person buying the car will expect to find the useless lump of electronics in it.

Reply to
mcbrue

You should know. Nothing could be more useless than you are.

Reply to
David Z

On 2 Apr 2007 16:05:34 -0700, "mcbrue" graced this newsgroup with:

only a deaf, dumb and blind retard couldn't figure out how to use something my 13 yo daughter figured out in 5 minutes.

Reply to
Max

The GPS nothing short of wonderful, when you get used to how to operate them, BUT they ARE a driving distraction to the uninitiated, so be careful when learning, and BE VERY CAREFUL about lending your car to those who are not familiar with using it.

Reply to
Jerohm

you figured out this guy real fast. you and your daughter are pretty sharp

Reply to
jdoe

What a shocker. You couldn't figure out how to use something as easy to use as the Lexus Nav. Have you figured out how to walk and chew gum at the same time yet?

"Whatta Maroooon!"

Reply to
GIga

Nothing to it - anybody can walk and chew gum at the same time. But now when you try to use the nav system and walk and chew gum at the same time - you have to stop walking to use the nav. And then you have to try to erase some destinations that take 5 min to erase. And then you have to make sure it knows what state you want to find the Gum Store in because it will direct you to the last state you were in for some strange reason. Better to just use the map you stuck to the dash board with the gum you were chewing before it got stale when you stopped to use the nav ...

Reply to
mcbrue

Actually, the Nav makes absolutely no assumptions what-so-ever about what state your destination is in, and will provide you with a list of matching desinations in ANY state that's in the region you have selected... so, my question to you is, what the hell are you talking about? As for taking 5 minutes to "erase" what you entered, it's hard to imagine how hitting the "back" button 3 times takes 5 mintues, but I guess if your IQ is below 40, these things do take some time. If you want to bitch about the Nav, you should point out that the safety nazis (a.k.a. "lawyers") don't allow you to program the Nav while you're moving because maroon's like you would sue them for allowing them to be stupid and kill themselves. Personally, I like Darwinian evolution, and I think stupid people should be allowed to kill themselves if they choose to. But that's a whole nuther can 'o wormies!

Reply to
GIga

Hi Alan-

I purchased a 2003 ES-300 with the Nav system. Initially, I did not want this as an option and even looked into having a specially ordered vehicle (requiring a 4 month delay). I decided to go ahead with the Nav system and am very happy that I did. The benefits exceed the costs. It takes the stress out of driving to new destinations. It indicates the "ETA", estimated time of arrival, allowing me to more efficiently plan my trips. I have even found "short-cuts" with the nav system that save time and gas. I don't think that it is really necessary to update the DVD, unless the streets in your area have significantly changed. I still have the original DVD.

Now that I have it, I would not want to drive without one. It makes sense to include this as an option in a vehicle in the class of a Lexus. I don't think that you will regret it.

Good luck!

Carl

Reply to
tech

Actually, I agree that the Lexus navigation system is pretty good except for - and that is a huge except - the inability to use it fully while driving. I find that extremely annoying. There is an after market product that changes that behavior for some models but it is not available for my model (GS 370) so I am stuck with it. It is ludicrous that a passenger cannot use all aspects of the navigation system without having to stop the car on a highway.

I wrote to Lexus about it in their evaluation form after purchasing the car but never heard back from them.

Jeff

GIga wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 08:44:29 -0400, "Jeff" graced this newsgroup with:

don't blame Lexus, it's the sue happy society we live in because, even though we're adults, some of us have this incredible urge to blame everyone else for our own stupidity.

Sooo...now you and I are paying the price.

Reply to
Max

My 2006 LS430 nav system is a big mystery. It does give me destinations for stores, for example, but does not tell me where they are. I put in where I want to go - had to pull over and stop, of course - and then it started directing me back out of town and back

450 miles away! So I just don't bother using it when I know I will blow a bunch of time on it - I ask the parking valet where something is instead, and use my maps. Or I use my phone. Showing the milage to your destination sounds like a nice option to have, but mine doesn't seem to have it. And I did have the stealership show me how to erase things on it, and it is a lot more than hitting return three times. You have to change screens and back in and out - real mess and takes a lot of time. Not a winner by far, and certainly not worth the money if you have to pay extra for it, but lots of people have lots of time to play with that sort of hostile system. I got it because I had to take it to get the pre-crash safety system that tightens belts and readies brakes that is basic on a lot of cars.
Reply to
mcbrue

Many of the Toyota nav systems have an override code to allow for entering new addresses etc while the car is moving. You can search on the net to find needed sequence. The override instructions for my Highlander are as follows. I have been told that this works on some Lexus models

"To Override : Push the menu button, push the volume icon in the middle the screen, push the volume icon in the top left corner of the screen, push the bottom left corner (with no icon), push the volume icon in the top left corner of the screen (again), push the botton left corner (with no icon) (again). At this point a new menu appears. Some cool stuff here like the GPS satellite data. I would not mess with stuff though, because you might screw up your car. One of the buttons says "override" push and hold this button for 5 seconds, then release. The button will stay blue. Then push the back button."

Reply to
Mitchell D. Trockman

I've heard that some other makes (like Honda) do not have the limited access of the Toyota navigation systems.

Unfortunately there is no sequence known to work on my 1997 Lexus GS 350 navigation. If someone knows of one please let me know.

Jeff

Mitchell D. Trockman wrote:

Reply to
Jeff