Lexus RX330 Navigations Questions

I have a few questions about the optional DVD Navigation System in the Lexus RX330.

  1. Lexus offers a voice-activated DVD navigation systems in a few of their models (such as the LS430). Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the new 2004 TOYOTA Prius (not a luxury car by any means) has as an optional voiced-activated DVD navigation yet the LEXUS RX330 does not. Why? Hopefully this oversight will be corrected with the 2005 models.

  1. One of the RX330 DVD Navigation screens has a horizontal bar graph which is constantly changing while you drive. The label seems to imply that the bar graph represents miles per gallon (MPG) but I believe the scale goes up to 100. Anyone who think the RX330 will get anywhere close to 100 mpg is dreaming. What exactly is this screen showing?

Thanks,

John C.

Reply to
John Chauvin

John,

I have an '03 LS430 with voice activated navigation and sound system.

There are over 300 voice commands.

After much experimentation with them, I find them quite useless for several reasons. This isn't so much a complaint about the Lexus system as an observation about the general state of voice recognition in computers.

  1. Despite my best efforts at clear enunciation, the system often (usually actually) doesn't understand what I'm saying. Worse, it thinks I've issued some other command and performs that function! Growing up in California and on the east coast, I have (I believe) very little accent that would be interfering.

For example, when I say "ZOOM IN", I often get some points-of-interest settings changed!

  1. I can only remember a few commands without looking them up, and if I have to look them up, what's the point? I haven't found the help facility provided usefull at all.

About the only thing I found useful was a command to shut off the turn-by-turn sound, which can only be done with a voice command (unless someone can tell me how to do this manually....). Unfortunately, I rarely can get the command understood.

Helmar

Reply to
Helmar Herman

Thanks for the feedback. It appears voice activation is more of a curse than a useable feature. I just assumed Lexus would not have offered the feature if it did not work as advertised.

Reply to
John Chauvin