Lexus, Toyota or Honda?

I currently own a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS and am looking for new wheels (and the rest of the car to go with it). I have been happy with Ava and looked at the new Toyota Avalon, Camry, and the Honda Accord. I haven't looked at the Lexus ES350 yet because the dealership is about a 2 hour drive from here. The reviews look good.

My initial conclusion is they all look good. The Toyota / Lexus are somewhat quieter and smoother, the Honda probably more reliable.

I hear that Toyota quality and reliability is slipping and the 6 speed transmission used in all the cars that I am considering has problems. How serious are they? The Lexus seems nice but I am being told that it must be taken to the Lexus dealer for warranty repairs, a 4 hour drive round trip. Is this true, or can the local Toyota dealer handle it?

I considered the Accura TL, but it does not come with cloth seats. The Honda dealer was pushing the Nissan Altima. I don't think they are as reliable as the Toyota. I recently rented Nissan Sentra for 2 months in Hawaii. In 2 months due to failures we drove 3 different ones and were not impressed. Any other suggestions for a nicer car that comes with cloth seats?

Reply to
ray

All of the cars you listed should be fine. The 6 speed transmission problems have been solved.

I would pass on the Lexus as you do have to go to the dealer for warranty repairs.

Reply to
Ray O

Unless you want the "prestige" that goes with the Lexus marque, get the Avalon. Much better value for the money. Honda is also good, and lately, seems to have slightly better reliability than Toyota, but if you were happy with your Avalon, stay with the brand.

From the sound of it, the inconvenience in getting to/from your Lexus dealer would be a significant factor, even if value-for-money was not a consideration.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

I have a 2002 SC430. Have had one small problem fixed under warranty. It was done by a certified Lexus mechanic not the dealer. I don't think you have to go to a dealer for warranty repairs.

Reply to
W. Wells

If I'm not mistaken, it is Federal law that any warranty repairs (for any make) can be done anywhere by anyone (even you) as long as you retain the receipt(s) for the work done/parts bought. You can then send them to the manufacturer for reimbursement.

Reply to
Mike Piacente

That is not quite the case. Warranty work can be done by another shop in an emergency, but the vehicle owner has to pay the other shop and retain any parts that were replaced and submit the receipt and used parts to a Lexus dealer for reimbursement. An emergency would be defined as a vehicle that will not operate or is dangerous to operate in a location too far to tow or that is repaired when the closed dealer is closed. All emergency reimbursements are through a dealer, not directly from the automaker. If the dealer and/or automaker's rep finds that the parts were not defective or if the repair does not solve the condition, the owner will not receive reimbursement. If non-OEM parts are used in the repair, the automaker will not warranty any further problems with the parts.

Also, some repairs require district service manager authorization, even when done at a dealership. It will be difficult to get reimbursement for those repairs if the customer did not contact the automaker's or dealer's customer service department first.

The OP should purchase a car from an automaker with a dealer that is a reasonable travel time and distance from his home or work.

Reply to
Ray O

Outstanding as always Ray O. Thanks for the correct info.

Reply to
Mike Piacente

Hi Ray I also owned a 2000 Avalon XLS, and traded it at 90,000 miles. Bought a Lexus ES350. My recommendation is to buy the new Avalon. It has a bigger trunk, reclining rear seats, runs on recommended regular gas instead of premium, is wider, higher, longer, and rides beautifully. Unfortunately, we bought the Lexus because of the increased length over the 2000 - it wouldn't fit in our garage with my workbench! Graybeard.

Reply to
Graybeard

You're welcome! I guess all those years of quoting the warranty policies and procedures manual to dealers stuck in my mind. ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Lexus is my opinion _______ Used Car Donation Car and Autos Zone

john

As Ray O said, Toyota's 6-speed trans. issues are solved so initial quality for all the cars on your list is fine.

The Avalon and Camry drive differently than does the Accord. You may prefer the more isolated feel of the Toyota products to the more responsive Honda. IMHO, the dash design of the Accord is miserable with all those buttons. But I like the exterior design of the Accord better than the Camry. To each their own...

Take extensive test drives in theses cars, over the same roads if possible and at night, if possible. You'll soon figure out which car you like the best.

FWIW: I own both Honda and Toyota products. I found equal reliability to 100,000 miles but my Toyota required less maintenance/repair between 100,000 and 200,000 miles than my Hondas. I found Toyota installs simply awful tires on their cars (worse than Honda) and I suggest immediate replacement with decent tires. I use the customer survey results at

to get an idea re. tire performance.

Reply to
ACAR