Lexus vs Toyota

I am sure this has been posted here before so please excuse the redundancy.

Just how much better is a Lexus than a Toyota? I recently drove a friends 2004 ES330 and I really like the quiet and smothness of the car. I have heard in the past that the Es is just a spruced up Camry.. Is this really the case? Are the Lexus cars engineeered any better than the Toyota?

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony

The Camry and ES are both based on the same chassis. Whether the ES is "better" than a Camry depends on how you define "better."

The Camry is available in 4 and 6 cylinder engines, the ES is available only with a 6 cylinder engine.

Only certain models of the Camry have a 6 speed automatic, the ES comes standard with a 6 speed automatic.

The Camry and ES offer different standard and optional equipment.

The ES has more sound insulation and a more isolated suspension than the Camry.

The engineering that goes into a Lexus and Toyota is the same.

Reply to
Ray O

And in the UK one Camry model was withdrawn as it was perceived, according to Lexus/Toyota management, as competing with Lexus.

Reply to
old man

Tony wrote "the Es is just a spruced up Camry".

What would that make the Avalon?

Regarding Lexus' competition, are there any cars that would be considered spruced up Mercedes or BMWs?

Reply to
Bob Smith

The Avalon, Camry, Sienna, Highlander, ES, and RX share the same platform.

Previous generations of the Avalon had more interior room than the Camry and ES. I would imagine that the same is true of this generation.

Again, it depends on your definition of "spruced up."

If a Mercedes is not luxurious enough, you could upgrade to a Maybach. Or, you could spend less money on a Chrysler.

If BMW is not prestigious, you could upgrade to their Rolls Royce brand or spend less money on a Mini, all part of the same family.

If the VW brand is not prestigious enough, you could spend some additional money and get a Bentley.

If the Ford Mustang or GT is not prestigious enough, you could get an Aston Martin

Reply to
Ray O

My bad, I meant is the Mercedes or BMW a spruced of version of a less expensive car?

Reply to
Bob Smith

The ES is the only Lexus passenger car to share a platform with Toyota. The GS and LS are strictly Lexus cars. I was told that the top of the line SE Camry was built only in Japan and on a production line right next to the Lexus line. I don't have much experience with Toyotas, but I can tell you, IMHO, the Lexus GS-430 is worth every penny.

Reply to
Bill in Yakima

We have a 2004 4cyl. Camry and a 2005 ES 330. Overall, I would say the 330 is the better car, but I'm somewhat hesitant due to the transmission jerk and hesitation that so many of the 330 owners (including myself) are experiencing. This problem might be a precursor of bigger problems to come. I've heard the ES 330 called a Camry in a Tuxedo, and that's pretty much the case. As far a value goes, I would give the nod to Camry where you get more for your dollar. Also, another factor to consider is that upkeep on the ES

330 (especially at the dealer) costs much more. If you still decide to get the ES 330, opt for the 16" wheel over the 17". The 17" comes with "performance tires" which are expensive and can wear out fast. There are fewer replacement choices available, and they won't give the average motorist any significant benefit. Al
Reply to
Al

the GS had a Toyota badge equivalent (now dropped)(I have seen one!), likewise the LS (I haven't seen one of these and presumably it too was dropped from the Toyota line)

Reply to
mrcheerful

Ever been to Europe? Love those Mercedes taxis. Though, in general, somewhat small taxis I've been in a few in Munich.

Seriously, both brands have many trim versions in each of their European model lines. Heck even here in the states BMW has that wonderful "Leatherette" read vinyl as the base open for the 3 and 5 series. At least MB no longer imports cars with that wonderful "MB Tex." It was really funny to read MB's PR about the scientific nature of the vinyl.

Reply to
Garry Owen

Since the Lexus brand was only recently introduced in Japan, the vehicles known as Lexus in North America and Europe had a Toyota brand in Japan. In Japan., the LS was known as the Celsior, the SC was the Soarer, and I believe the GS was the Windham.

Reply to
Ray O

And the now superseded Lexus IS300 was known as the Toyota Alteeza.

Reply to
Ron M.

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:27:12 -0500, "Ray O" graced this newsgroup with:

I believe the Windham is the ES.

Reply to
kegler

could be!

Reply to
Ray O

Actually the GS is known as the Aristo.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Very close. It's known as the Windom.

Reply to
Viperkiller

I forgot to mention: The RX is known as the Harrier and the GX is known as the Hilux.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Well, not 100% true:

GS (prior to 2005 model year) = Toyota Aristo in Japan (they removed it from the official site, since it's no longer available, but some pics could be found here:

)LS = Toyota Celsior in Japan ( still available on their web site:
)

Reply to
Oleg