Life expectancy of instrument back lighting?

How reliable is the instrument back lighting in Lexus vehicles? Specifically, I'm looking at a 1997 ES300. The car is already six years old. Is the back lighting likely to last another six years?

Reply to
#

I'd say that mileage is a better indicator than age in determining how long the gauge needles and the back-lighting of the gauges will last. When I bought my used 1992 ES300 three years ago, it had 192,000 miles on it, and the tach and speedo needles were no longer working. I don't know how long the previous owner had been driving the car without lit needles. It cost me $600 in 2000 to get new tach and speedo needles at the Lexus dealer, and, while they were at it, eight back-light bulbs. Not cheap-so you ask a good question.

Reply to
Larry Parker

Just replacing the back-light bulbs requires a significant amount of labor cost, so if you replace the needles, make sure they replace ALL the backlight bulbs at the same time.

Reply to
Jerohm