LS 430 downshift hesitation - solution found, details within

Concerning the LS 430's hesitancy to downshift when throttle is applied, we found this is at least partly attributable to the artificially intelligent transmission learning the habit. I successfully 'trained' mine to downshift much more aggressively by using the stick to force a

5-4 or 5-3 downshift when I wanted a sharper moveout on part-throttle acceleration. After about a week I could see a difference, after about 2 1/2 weeks it had 'learned' the new response and now the car is really quite aggressive about quick part-throttle downshifts. It now drops down a gear or two almost instantly if I get into the throttle, even a relatively modest dab around town. The car's much more responsive for the 'training.'

If you try this, be sure that you *first* apply throttle and *then* force the downshift so the transmission logic gets it right.

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'll try this on my '03 LS430 over the next few weeks and report back the results.

I sure hope this works as this is one of only two things I dislike about my LS430.

The other thing? The climate control can be far too aggressive when the inside/outside temperature differences are great. I'd much rather that the maximum fan speed (unless manually overridden) be medium at most.

HBH

Reply to
Helmar Herman