LS400 1993 Parking Brake

Hello

I test drove an LS400 1993 yesterday and found two apparent problems:

- Parking Brake would not come back to its original position after being released. I had to drag it back by putting my foot behind it and pushing it back.

- Temperature and Clock LCD were barely readable. (In the daytime at least).

Please give me any suggestions on whether these are serious, how to fix and ballpark costs.

I would also appreciate any input on buying this 14 year old car.

Thank you.

Reply to
AHJ

If you are fairly handy, you can probably repair the parking brake yourself. Start by applying a light lube to the parking brake pedal pivot and then looking at the linkage at the rear wheels. Most likely just something binding. Worst case, you may have to replace the parking brake cable, probably around $150 for parts.

Sorry, I don't have any practical advice on the temperature and clock LCD

Reply to
Ray O

Regarding the temp and clock LCD, I came upon this old message in a thread from a while back. Apparently this is a design issue and can be repaired by hacking the circuit board. There are also a couple of places on the Web that will replace or repair the LCD panel itself. When I got my '93 ES300 a couple months back, I had a place called lextech.org replace the bulbs and install custom needles in the instrubment cluster after they had burned out in mine (very common problem). They did a good job. I've yet to have any trouble at all with the clock/HVAC display.

Old message follows:

Reply to
Ol' Dirty Bastard

Thank you for your inputs.