LS400 battery/ignition problem

My father in-law has an M reg LS400, he has had a few problems recently, always seems to happen when you come to sell a car. He left the car for quite a few weeks while he went away, the battery went flat and he ended up having to get a new one, problem is when he went to the lexus garage he was told because he was changing the battery he needed a new ignition as well something to do with a microchip. would this be true?? can any one help

Reply to
jbbkt

Sounds like "BS" to me. This would mean if you pull the battery you have to change the ignition? Never had to when I changed batteries on my LS400, SC400 or LS430.

Xplant

Reply to
Xplant

The RF door lock receiver can easily drain the battery if left long enough, but NOTHING that a jump shouldn't fix. It is probably best to shut it off for long periods of no use. I NEVER heard anything about issues with the ignition or any microchip.

Reply to
Jerohm

When we ried jumping the car the security system kicked in but when we found out how to get round it it stopped kicking in, would this have anything to do with it?

Reply to
jbbkt

I am not exactly sure what you mean. My headlights have the habit of not always shutting off, so I have jumped my 90 LS400 more than a few times. When doing so, the only "security" issues I have EVER encountered was with the radio (code). Other than that, it ALWAYS started right up - i.e. NOTHING to circumvent. I am unfamiliar with the situation that you seemed to have encounter. You didn't accidentally hook up the jump cables backwards did you?? My memory is sketchy on this, but I kind of remember a post by someone who did just that, and DID blow out some microchip. Sorry I can not provide any additional insight (maybe someone else can). Best of luck ... I hate car problems!

Reply to
Jerohm

When we connected the leads up, the lights on the dash came on but when we tried to turn the car over there was nothing, but when we took the keys out then the alarm went off and the little security light on the dash came on. then we would have to disconnect everything and try again. we ended uo leaving the car to charge for a while and that still didnt work. thanks everyone for your help

Reply to
jbbkt