LS430 18 vs 17 tire noise

I just got an 06 LS430, with 18in wheels. I wanted 17" wheels, but they were nowhere to be found. The noise level in the car is fine when travelling on clean roads, but it is higher than I like on concrete, bad pavements, etc

Of course rough roads are noisier than clean roads, but does anyone have any data on noise comparisons between 18in and 17in wheels + tires. I know a lot of it will have to do with the specific tire choice as well, but that also favors the 17" wheels since the 225 17 55 has a lot more choice for quieter tires.

Any data or pointers would be appreciated. Also, any specific comparison of specific tires on the 17 rim would be great.

Thanks.

Reply to
syrusziai

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Noise is mostly a function of tires and not of rim size. Larger rims with the same tire brand and model will be marginally quieter. I just replaced my original worn out Bridgestones with Good Year Comfort Treads. The new ones are quieter than the Bridgestones.

Reply to
Colin

How many miles did you get on the 18" tires? I just passed on buying new MB S550 cause of the crappy 18" tires. Went down to the Lexus store and they have a new black 430 coming in so I said I would be interested in it. But then I found out it also has 18" tires. They tell me BMW also has them, so I guess I will finaly go back to American cars. I just can't feel comfortable laying out 90 to $100k for a car and then having to put new tires on it every 15,000 miles for $1500, balancing and mounting and tax included. That just is TOO STUPID !!!!!! When will these stupid car companies go back to real tires that last?

Reply to
mcbrue

"mcbrue" wrote in news:1156655415.656189.102700 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

My original 18" Bridgestones held up well - I replced them after 52,000 miles. I expect the Good Years to hold up as well - I have some experience with 18" Good Years on different cars.

Reply to
Colin

Colin, do you drive fast and rather agressively? I have been told that I do. (But who can believe a wife-passenger?) I am also worried about the lessened ability to protect the car after a curb or pot hole is hit.

Reply to
mcbrue

Why would Lexus put 18" on LS430. Christ, it is a luxury car not a sports sedan. Lexus surely has a problem giving customers what they actually want.

Reply to
dan

"mcbrue" wrote in news:1156733301.351092.22960 @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I am not a very aggressive driver (wife gets car sick real quick), but I drive fast - 75-80mph on the freeway here in Vegas. The Bridgestones spent most of their life on the East Coast with some lousy roads and 70mph speeds, but not very aggresive otherwise.

Colin

Reply to
Colin