making copy of Lexus key

The price to get a second is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $187 from Lexus! No joke. Do get a second key. If you lose the one you have, it costs even more to have a new Engine Control Module installed and new keys made.

There is an alternative. Using your VIN, many locksmiths can get the key code and laser cut you a master key. Then you can program it yourself using the following instructions:

To duplicate a key:

  1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
  2. Insert existing master key into ignition. (DO NOT TURN)
  3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times, (not too rapidly).
  4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
  5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
  6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time. At this time the security light starts blinking.
  7. After 45 to 60 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off (stops blinking).
  8. Remove new key and try starting the car.

When Lexus dealers or locksmiths mention "programming" a key, they make it sound like a PHD in engineering is needed to complete the arduous task. Wrong, anybody can quickly do it if they have the information.

Reply to
Pud Knocker

How can I make a copy of a Lexus key (a 1998 ES300)? I was only given one, and I almost left it in the car the other day.

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

Check out this source:

CFL

And do not be surprised if that doesn't work. My GS430 refused to start the car with a duplicate key no matter what I did. (Attempted it multiple times) Finally, I took the keys I had made to the local Toyota dealership. They programmed it to my car for $30.00 each. I have been told that the feature to program keys is intended for new computers and does not work on all Lexus's.

luck Bill

Reply to
Me

You have a duplicate key :-(

Reply to
Ray O

Also, my key doesn't have any buttons in it.

Reply to
Joe

ye...its a valet key. so you have to unlock the doors manually instead of just pressing a key. you should really get another key.

Reply to
sergek