modifying navigation system

I bought a 2005 ES330 a couple of months ago with the new navigation system. I am happy with it except for one thing: (apparently due to safety/legal issues) most of the nav system features are unavailable unless the vehicle is stopped. My wife and I frequently take cross-country trips of thousands miles across the US. In the past we have used a Garmin StreetPilot III GPS system. It boots up with a warning that one should not use it while driving, but it also lets you bypass this feature so that a passenger can use the advanced features. We quite frequently used this system to locate restaurants, road side parks, and lodging while enroute. This made it quite handy to call ahead and see if there was a vacancy for the night,for instance, and then change the route to that destination. Lexus, it seems, wants to require that the vehicle pull over and stop to do the same thing. This is extremely inconvenient and inefficient, especially when several calls to different hotels must be made. I'd like the ability for the passenger to use the Lexus nav system while moving. The way to do this would be to keep the nav system from knowing that the vehicle is moving. Obviously, the GPS info can detect movement, but this system also uses "dead-reckoning" so that it can give a less accurate guidance if the GPS signal is lost. This makes me think that perhaps, just perhaps, the movement detection that turns of selected functions is somehow tied to speedometer input. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, then a workaround would involve disabling this input. If not, then it seems that a software hack is the only route. Anyone know anything about a software hack? Yes, I know it would void my warranty.

TIA, mdh

Reply to
Michael D. Henderson

Mike,

I've looked for an answer to this question for years, and have never found one. If you come up with anything, PLEASE post it to the group, or reply privately to me directly! I'm with you -- this "socialized safety" has got to go. There are simply too many lawyers out there.

Reply to
Giga

You are SOL. I have both the Garmin StreetPilot and the Lexus units and the Garmin is better in a number of ways. Yes, having to be stopped is ANNOYING. No fix, from what I hear. SOL

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

There's a guy on ebay who goes by the username "doctorbypass" who sells what appears to be a cable with instructions for about $150. Unfortunately, it only works for the LX470, GX470, and LS430. This modification allows you to play a DVD while the car is moving. See:

I emailed him and he said he doesn't have anything for the ES. I have a

2004 ES330 and I'm looking for the same thing you are -- to be able to use all navigation features while moving including POI search, destination input, etc..
Reply to
David Z

Michael,

A hardware hack is available for the 04-05 Toyota Prius Navigation system, which is likely the same as what's in your Lexus (the screens, at least, are identical). With the Prius, you find the purple colored wire that carries the vehicle speed data to the navigation system, clip it, and insert a toggle switch (available for a couple of bucks at places like Radio Shack). There's no guarantee that the Lexus uses the same color coding for wires, but my guess is that it does -- there would be no reason not to have standard wiring harnesses for all vehicles' Navigation systems.

Here's the link for do-it-yourselfers who want to modify the Prius Navigation system.

Note that for the 05 ES330, the Navigation system is integrated into the dash head unit that has the LCD display, whereas for the Prius, the system is under the driver's seat. So, you'll need to open up the dash to get at the Lexus navigation system. Here's how:

  1. Apply the parking brake, and put the car in neutral.
  2. Grasp the rear portion of the horizontal piece of the center console that surrounds the gear shifter and gently lift up. (This is the piece that has wood trim.) Carefully lift it off, being sure not to scratch the shifter knob, heater buttons, or wood. Set it aside.
  3. Grasp the bottom of the black/silver plastic panel that has the heater buttons and display. (You can reach around the back of it and get a good grip once you complete step 2 above.) Firmly pull outward. The entire HVAC module will come out. Position it out of the way. It's not necessary to unplug the connectors on it.
  4. Next, you will need to get at the navigation system; I have not done the following steps myself -- they are based on conjecture. First, remove the black/silver dash trim that is around the navigation screen. My guess is that it pulls out. The best way to do this without damaging anything is to use the proper tools:

  • Hook tool

  • Dash trim removal tool Get them here:
    To use the hook, gently wiggle it between the edge of the plastic dash panel and the adjacent vinyl panel. Once inserted, twist the hook 45 degrees so that the hook goes behind the plastic panel. Then, firmly pull. Repeat on all edges of the dash panel. You can put some masking tape over the vinyl area in the vicinity where you put the hook to protect it against smudges.

  1. Once the panel surrounding the navigation screen is out, remove the screws securing the navigation system. Check the wiring on the back to see if it is similar to the Prius' wiring that is described on the vfaq web page mentioned above. If so, you're in business: Just follow the instruction on the vfaq site. If, however, the wiring is totally different, you can buy the electrical wiring service manuals for your car from Toyota (or download them from Toyota's technical website). Look over the diagrams, find the speed sensor wire, clip it, and wire in a switch!

Toyota tech info site:

[Legal disclaimer: Do the above at your own risk. Fiddling with the navigation system while driving might cause injury, death, property damage, headache, or irregular heartbeat. Check with physician or legal advisor before proceeding.]

-Doug in VA

Reply to
Doug in VA

*** snip ***

Thanks much for the info. Due to my schedule it'll probably be several weeks before I am able to try it, but I'll let you know if it works. Meanwhile, if anyone else tries it please post your results here.

mdh

Reply to
Michael D. Henderson

Have you tried looking for info in

? I have the details for the GX, but haven't gotten around to the mod yet. They have forums for all makes, so try looking. If it can be done, someone will know how on that link.

Reply to
Kbach