More Dead Battery Syndrome

OK, I go out this morning and the car starts and I take my meter and read across the battery terminals and I am getting 14.1V now at idle. Yesterday the thing showed 12.56V, I think it was ,at idle across the terminals and the best at 3,000 RPM was about 13.5V. This is throwing me off. I wonder if there is a bad connection to ground someplace or the battery cables need to be replaced. Does that sound like an alternator being weak one day and strong the next? I'm doing this slowly because I wanna make sure if I spend $300 for an alternator the problem is the alternator. Alternator, cables, any input?

Sluggo

Reply to
Sluggo

You may only need new brushes that're on a small circuit board you remove from the back of the alternator. Also use a hygrometer and check each battery cell's specific gravity to rule out a damaged or misbehaving cell.

Reply to
John