Navigation units in 2004 Lexus RX330

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 Lexus RX330 and am wondering how good the navigation systems were way back in 2004.

Is the navigation system in 2004 Lexus at least decent? How does it compare to those of today?

Bud H

Reply to
Bud H

It is a good one but does not have voice commands or bluetooth. Good graphics. Map updates are about $300.

Reply to
CFL

Thanks for the reply - would you know if the navigation system is similar in the 2005 models?

Bud H

Reply to
Bud H

For the 2005 Lexus with "voice activated" navigation systems, does that mean that YOUR voice activates commands? Does the navigation system verbally give directions such as "turn right...."?

Bud H

Reply to
Bud H

Yes to both questions.

Reply to
Ray O

You get turn by turn with voice. There are a couple of new views in newer models like Interstate and a little different turn map. Not sure what to 2005 has. I had a 2004 and now 2007 IS. Liked the human interface in the 2004 while not in love with the 2007 interface. One nice feature on the newer model is that ability to input a business phone number and have the system determine the address. The 2004 has French and English directions. The 2007 has Spanish as an addition.

Reply to
CFL

Toyota uses electronics from Fujitsu-Ten. I wouldn't say they're as good as the aftermarket audio or nav outfits. But for OEM should be nearly half way decent.

A GPS leader in the US is the Garmin with NavTeq map. Tele Atlas is improving in the US but their strength is in Europe. I use an older, portable Nuvi 350 unit when it was twice the cost. But still very good unit. I would prefer the combo of Alpine audio unit and Garmin GPS.

Reply to
johngdole

I have an 02 LS430 with Navi and my wifes 00 ES300 has an aftermarket Garmin Nuvi 680. It, by far, is superior to the my OEM navi system.

It has a LOT more features than the indash system, is consderably cheaper than the indash option and updates are less than half.

When the day comes that I trade in my 02 for a new model, whether the car has built in navigation or not won't be a deciding factor in purchasing the car since aftermarket navigation systems have come a LONG way in features, cost and user friendliness.

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:02:05 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com graced this newsgroup with:

Reply to
Max

Yeah, Garmin is best-in-class and is the OEM for BMW's nav system.

If your wife bought the Garmin near a new map's release date Garmin will even give you a free map update. So be sure to register the product. And keep the Nuvi's software up to date with free downloads form their website.

A Toyota courtesy driver told me the OEM nav unit in the Sienna stinks. I believed him.

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, we registered it right after receiving it earlier this summer. My wife loves it.

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 00:02:38 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com graced this newsgroup with:

Reply to
Max

BTW, just to mention that the Garmin free map update was by request (I actually don't know if the CD is automatically mailed, but I requested it and got the confirmation).

The 2009 map CD is available starting next month (April)!

Reply to
johngdole

I have a 2003 RX 300 with a Navi system, which works fine. I know that there are better non-built in systems out there and I have 2 of them. However it is a pain in the butt to remove those systems from your dash everytime you park your car. I am willing to accept a system like the one built in rather than worrying about having the better one stolen from my car and the possibility of a broken window or door used to remove it.

Reply to
ackerberg