Navigation Upgrade Out - Worth it?

The new navigation upgrade is out. My current version is from 2001. Is it worth updating?

Reply to
Maby

We picked up the 2003 v.1 DVD to upgrade the 2000 v.1 we had in our

2002 RX300. $260 at Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA. I installed it myself, so I don't know how much installation would cost. The dealer told us software upgrades were not covered under our extended warranty.

It corrected a few local routing bugs and added new stores and restaurants to the database. Other than that, I didn't see any big difference. We plan to update every 2-3 years, just to keep up with road construction.

Reply to
Mark Doernhoefer

Is replacing the DVD as easy as popping out the old one and putting in the new one? Or is there more to it? Is it fully calibrated with the GPS on install or do you have to set anything there?

Also, menus are the same or different?

Reply to
jt

Just put it in (once you find the obscure eject button) and turn on the system. It will upgrade (with a warning) the OS and the maps. Depending on your location the maps may be improved. There was an increase in roads included in the routing system (yellow roads are not). There was a major fix to the routing algorithm -- in some areas it used to pick very unreliable routes. The voice prompts where also adjusted for better usability (if you use them) by adjusting their timings. There are a few settings that now adjust the routing algorithm to account for your driving habits ( if you drive very slowly on unknown secondary roads and faster on unknown highways -- you can set the avg speed which the software will take into account when choosing the route).

For me it made very little difference around my home, but it made a big difference when I went to Arizona this year over last.

cheers,

bt

Reply to
Nospam

It's like the DVD drive on your computer except there's no tray and there's a sliding switch. You'll need power to the unit; I'd recommend doing this with the vehicle running, less chance that power would be interrupted during reprogramming.

Open the spare tire compartment and lift out the right hand plastic piece. The DVD drive is locared on the right behind the jack. There is a sliding switch on the front to the left of the DVD slot. Slide the switch to the rear of the vehicle and press the button under the switch. The DVD will slide out. Slide in the new DVD. The system will reboot and reprogram the navigation system.

You can monitor the progress from the nav display. You'll see the warning not to interrupt the reprogramming process. I don't know if they are flashing memory during this period, but I would err on the side of caution and heed this warning. If you interrupt a memory flash, you can be in a world of hurt.

I did not run any of the calibration routines since the map seems to be accurate. My wife says the routing system now provides correct directions through a rebuilt intersection near us.

Reply to
Mark Doernhoefer

When I updated mine to the 2002 ver last year it kept all my prefs and marked points.

-- Pete

jt wrote:

Reply to
Pete