Need advice

On 14 Dec 2006 03:35:14 -0800, "kitzler" graced this newsgroup with:

typically, suspension systems are different that are set up for run flat tires. If you change to non flat tires without changing the suspension you may have handling problems and an unsatisfactory ride.

I've been told conversion of the suspension systems involves a lot more than just changing the stuts and is quite expensive (read thousands of $).

YMMV of course.

Reply to
max

I never thought of that, thanks YMMV, and I will definitely try to pursue that line of argument. I also I heard that Lexus increased the horsepower of the GS300 for 2007 by replacing the 3 Litre engine with a 3.5 L. .This is welcome news as my 2006 sometimes does not shift down during slow hill climbs and that causes the engine to labor and the car to lose speed. A bigger engine would trump that problem. HOWEVER, I have a sneaky feeling that for 2007, Lexus dropped the All Wheel Drive option on the GS350. Anyone hear anything like that?

Reply to
kitzler

On 16 Dec 2006 12:15:28 -0800, "kitzler" graced this newsgroup with:

I don't recall on the GS's but doesn't the GS300 have the ability to either manually downshift and/or disable the overdrive function? On most cars, the overdrive can be disabled by a button on the shifter knob. That would probably help you a lot on the hill climbs. We have a 00 ES300 and even on steep hills, if we manually take it out of overdrive, we have no problem with hills. Of course, my LS430 doesn't care much about hills. :-)

The GS350 is the next generation GS (hint, the number denotes the liter size of the engine 300 = 3.00 litre, 350= 3.5 litre. Subsequently, the 430's are 4.3 litres).

One thing to look at instead of run flat tires is something that Michelin has developed and is now selling that technology to other manufacturers. It's call PAX.

here's an article that explains what PAX tires are:

I suspect however, conversion to PAX type tires may be expensive since mostly likely the rims must have specially developed lips to hold the tire firmly in place but I may be wrong.

Reply to
max

All Toyota/Lexus models have the ability to lock out overdrive.

According to the article, the PAX tires are for OEM only because of the need for specially designed wheels (not just the rims) and for a tire pressure monitoring system.

BTW, the rim is the "lip" of the wheel.

Reply to
Ray O

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:20:06 -0600, "Ray O" graced this newsgroup with:

I was referring to the entire rim (or wheel if you wish). Not just the "lip".

Reply to
max

One my pet peeves is that "rim" is often incorrectly used as a synonym for "wheel." ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:40:52 -0600, "Ray O" graced this newsgroup with:

LOL you say potato, I say tomato ;-)

Reply to
max

The engineers I used to work with took no prisoners and were sticklers for using correct terminology when referring to parts of the car. I guess some of that rubbed off on me.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a major peeve.. The automotive world always noted the pressure in the intake manifold as "Vacuum". I go ballistic when I hear an automotive teacher refer to manifold pressure as a vacuum. The proper term is manifold pressure. That way it is always correct if it is above or below atmospheric pressure.

Reply to
mikestp

Good point!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the tire/rim advice folks, also since I drive exclusively in the S-mode, I tried shifting down manually on hill, but unfortunately, the car usually downshifts two or three gears down, to fourth or third (I have the 6-speed) and the same result can be had by just stepping on the gas.

My Lexus in the S-mode allows me to down-shift manually. this is great!!!!!... I just wish Lexus would also allow you to up-shift manually with a warning indicator if the engine is laboring. Of course, if you don't know what you are doing, you could probably do serious harm to the engine. So much for that..

/Nick

Reply to
kitzler