New angle on ES300 trans problem

I brought my 02 ES300 in for service today and asked that the trans be checked out, my complaint being the jerky shifting I've had since day 1 with this car (I mention it at each service, thus documenting my history with the problem).

Now, at 65K, the jerky shifting is worse than ever (I've had the firmware upgrades, and computer resets done). The hesitation complaint I had early on is gone, but slamming downshifts have replaced that.

I was told today that the trans checked out okay, but said it is apparently due to the fact that I don't burn premium fuel. I expressed my doubts that that would explain it. He said that drive-by-wire requires premium fuel, and that Lexus had issued a TSB to that effect, and that he would show it to me if I wanted to see it. I said I'd be interested in seeing it. He couldn't find it.

Is anyone aware of this TSB blaming jerky shifting on regular fuel ?

Reply to
njbok

Wow! What jerk was it that said they need premium fuel to shift right? Where does he suggest you put that premium fuel? Hmmm ... let me think about where to put premium fuel with a service advisor like that. Have you tried to do a lemon law car replacement yet?

Reply to
mcbrue

Hey, McStupid:

Shut up unless you have something intelligent to say.

Reply to
David Z

I'm not aware of any TSB.

However, I switched to premium fuel about 6 months ago based discussions on this board about increased MPG. I concluded that the increased MPG pays for most, if not all, of the higher price of premium fuel. Do a google search to see that discussion.

As I stated in that discussion, I noticed that the hesititation and jerkiness are reduced using premium fuel. Premium fuel certainly doesn't eliminate the problem, but IMO, it definitely is an improvement over regular in that regard.

Reply to
David Z

A search of the NHTSA TSB database lists the following TSB's regarding harsh shifting: TC 00403 TC 00202

I did not see one regarding using premium fuel, but the explanation you received is plausible.

You can search yourself at

Ray O

I have never used premium fuel in my 03 ES . I had the first upgrade after

2K and by this time the newness of the car had worn off and I stopped driving it like an old lady and went back to the heavy foot I used to drive my Mustang with . In my case the lag totally disappered and now at 21 K I am completely satisfied . It is my belief that if you drive the car in a more spirted manner the less lag you will experience.
Reply to
Ice

I don't have lag.

Reply to