New SRX - do you think it is...

Hi, I'm going to buy an SUV, however I still can't decide whether to buy full-size SUV or go for something smaller like for example the new Cadillac SRX! Does anybody have a SRX, have you seen the new SRX on the street/in dealership? What do you think of it? The vehicle has a good press! Lexus has something similar, right?

I don't know what other SUVs are in the class? Infininty Fx35/45, Volkswagen Touareg? Which one would you buy? Lexus? ;)

As you can see I have more questions than answers! :(

At last but not least, what's your opinion about Cadillac? I'm from Europe and I don't know what to think about it... I know that Lexus is a good brand! THANKS a lot for any opinions!!! Peter

Reply to
Peter_m_04

The following compete with the SRX in the mid-size luxury SUV market (in the US - I don't know how many of these are common in the Euro market):

Lexus RX330 VW Touareg Volvo XC90 Acura MDX Lincoln Aviator BMW X5 MB ML350/ML500

The SRX is getting good press. I would expect reliability to be a notch below the Acura and Lexus, but a notch above the Volvo, MB, VW, and BMW. The styling is different which could be good or bad depending on your tastes. Depreciation is typically higher on a Cadillac vs. a Lexus in the states, but things may be different in Europe. I'd certainly drive it and any others on this list which strike your fancy. All are good cars. My only strong suggestion is to avoid the Touareg for at least a year or so until they get the bugs out.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

I've seen the SRX in a dealer, and it appears to be decently put together and the interior was reasonably attractive, if you like its "modernistic" style.

The SRX is built on what is basically a car chassis, which is a good thing except for the handful of people who actually drive SUV's off road. Those people should probably buy a Jeep Wrangler. They're relatively cheap, and so crude you won't mind as much when you ding it up.

The SRX's competition is Lexus RX330, VW Toureg, BMW X5, Acura MDX, MB M-Class, Volvo XC90, and maybe a few others. The SRX with the V8 would drive about as well as any of them, but will probably depreciate a lot faster than most of the others. If you are actually considering the SRX, I'd wait for the rebates which will inevitably arrive, if they haven't already.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

The SRX is a decent "PUV" (for performance utility.) Car&Driver gave it a good review. I saw it displayed at a shopping mall. It looks fairly attractive.

It does sit lower than most SUVs. So you don't get the high-up view like other SUVs. It seems to be modeled after the Chrysler Pacifica. Obviously the SRX can't do light off-road duty, but it should do fine on unpaved road. Also Cadillacs aren't as reliable as Lexus or Infiniti.

Reply to
HarrierAWD

The CTS doesn't fit that description.

Reply to