Normal gas mileage for RX300

I was wondering what the "normal" gas milage should b for an RX300 (AWD). I have a 2000 with 45000 miles that gets no more than 16.5 MPG with a healthy mix of city and x-way. Doesn't seem to matter much if I change octane. I was hoping to get closer to 20 MPG with this car

What do some other folks get?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Esch

The RX300 is tall enough to have a wind drag coefficient equal to that of a standard sized pickup and weighs enough to make "fuel efficiency" a contradiction of terms. Factor in the additional drag factor imposed by the AWD option (absurd option on an RX300, IMO) and suddenly 16-17 mpg average overall doesn't sound that unreasonable to me. To improve it, turn off the A/C and leave the windows rolled up, reduce the weight of the vehicle (don't haul around unnecessary junk), make sure your tires are properly inflated (check monthly) and place a raw egg under the back side of the accelerator pedal. Try not to break the egg..

A/C on (or driving at highway speeds w/windows down) will extract 1 to 1½ mpg penalty. A heavy foot on the pedal can cost another 1-2 mpg, especially jackrabbit starts. Under-inflated tires can extract another ½ to 1 mpg. Hauling around excess weight is another fuel waster.

Reply to
New Owner

20.7MPG over 76,000 miles, mostly highway (70/75MPH). If I do a couple tankfuls of local driving, it's probably around 17 then. 2001 RX300 AWD w/Goodyears @ 30PSI, A/C used whenever needed, windows usually closed (less drag), roof racks removed, not too much stuff in back. Usually use Mobil 87 octane, didn't notice a change when using 89. Considering that I'm still on the original tires (about 4/32" left) and just replaced the front brakes (pads & rotors) for the 1st time, maybe I'm the exception. Gee, didn't think I drove that gently. hth, Bob
Reply to
Bob_R

I have average 23.3mpg over 40,000 miles in my RX300SE in the UK. This includes around 2,000 miles of towing a caravan. I wouldn't say I drive excessively fast but I dont hang around either.

With petrol at 83p/litre I would prefer better but am satisfied overall.

Reply to
Clive West

I have a RX300 2000 with 30,000 miles, my overall mileage is 18.1 and I drive hard. 95% of my mileage is trips under 7 miles. On a long trip I get 24-25 MPG.

Bob in Atlanta

Reply to
Rlstockman

That is pretty much identical to what I get with my 90 LS400.

Reply to
Jerohm

I have been averaging about 20.1 mpg consistently .. most of the driving (90%) is city driving. It is slightly higher when we have gone on a long trip .. like 20.4 or 20.5. Been using 87 Octane - Shell. Only difference is I have a 2000 2WD.

Reply to
techtrainer