Oil, or rather lack of.

So here is my question, maybey Ray can offer up an opinion.?

Today I checked my oil and it was down at the fill dot. So I put in almost a quart. Before when the engine was cold as in first drive of the day, I always 'thought' I could hear valve noise. I 'think' now it is gone. Or perhaps this is how it sounds cold. It is louder than my wife's

2006 rx330, The last oil change was the first one. Now I am around 5k on my rx350. No oil light ever came on, do you think my engine was harmed at all??? I am presuming there is a low oil light.

I checked the oil when I got it back from the dealership but it was too clean to really tell. But I thought it looked low then.

Complain to the dealership? To what end? There is another nicer one, closer.

John

Reply to
The Visitor

I doubt if any damage was done to the engine if the engine oil never got below 1 quart low. In other words, 1 quart low - no problem.

As far as I know, the RX does not have a low oil level warning system but it does have a low oil pressure warning system. The only way to check oil level is with the dip stick.

If you are having difficulty seeing the oil level on the dipstick when the oil is really clean, use unbleached brown napkins when wiping the dipstick. Just lay the tip of the dipstick flat against the brown napkin, lift the dipstick, and look at the mark on the paper. At first I thought my eyes were getting really bad, but the oil seems to be more translucent than it used to be so it is like looking at glycerin instead of honey.

Reply to
Ray O

Great idea, thanks!

john