Overdrive for the terminally thick

I have a 1991 LS400. I am fairly used to modern automatics and am comfortable on when (if ever) to use my '2' and '1' selectors.

I'm also comfortable with the PWR / Econ programmes.

But my problem is with the Overdrive button. I gather that turning off overdrive effectivly reduces the box from a 4 spped to a 3 speed one.

My problem is, under what circumstances would I ever want to do this?

Thanks for the enlightenment in advance.

Reply to
JustaBloke

It's no different than if they put all 4 gears on the shift lever itself. You could shift manually from 1, up to 2, up to 3, then push the button for 4.

If you're in an area where the transmission wants to hunt between 3 and

4, you might want to keep it in 3 to prevent that back-and-forth hunting.

Or you might be going down an incline where it's better to keep the tranny in 3 and use engine braking instead of using your brakes.

Those are two instances where many people find themselves where they want to control what gear they're in.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Without fear of sounding daft Elmo P. Shagnasty wibbled...

Ahh. I see. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
JustaBloke