"popping sound" on IS300

Hi All,

My girlfriend has a 2002 IS300 with about 28K miles. She has noticed this "popping" sound whenever she comes from a stop. The sound is sort of a mettalic clink coming from the bottom of the vehicle. It happens when she starts from a stop light. Starts moving after she enters a slight slope at her works parking garage. We took it to the dealership and she was told that it was made by the breaks and that it's normal for it to make that noise. The dealer was able to reproduce the sound by going in reverse, stopping and then moving forward. After a second or two it would make the popping noise.

I am wondering if this is truly normal? Her car is still under warranty and I would like to have it fixed if it is not. I am a little leary of trusting the dealership.

Thanks for any input! We appreciate it.

Reply to
luniz_c

Mark Klebanoff

Reply to
Shadowy1

I think it is the pads shifting in the calipers. First time I back out of the garage in the morning I hear it then again the first time after I stop from a forward direction after that I never hear it again the rest of the day.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand

Thank you all for your input. We appreciate it.

Reply to
luniz_c

Brother, no worries. Our IS300 has floating rotors. This way your initial braking is magnified for sport stopping. Whenever you go forward or reverse, or your about to park and you here that clunk noise it is your "floating rotor" switching directions. I didnt like it either, but it does improve stopping power. Floating rotors. That is the sound you hear.

Gio IS300 owner (2002)

Reply to
Gio

Don't you mean floating calipers? The calipers float or pivot so that the brake pads apply a more even force to both sides of the rotor. The rotor of course rotates, but in a fixed plane of rotation. The sound he is hearing is most likely either the pads shifting or even more likely, the caliper moving. The caliper usually slides on pins which should be cleaned and lubed from time to time. Most people do not do this except when getting a new brake job. SF

Reply to
sf/gf

Well I will tell you what. When I do my brakes I will take a look. In my opinion a floating caliper would be much more complex than just having the rotor float. But the entire system is new to me, so when I pop off the wheels and look at it. I will either A. Correct you... or B. Commend you for your knowledge.

Reply to
Gio