premature tire wear

i have a 2006 RX400h it came with Goodyear Eagle Tires they wore out at 17,000 miles

i contacted the dealer and the Lexus Service Center expressing this concern, but the explaination basically was that "tires wear out".

the car had an alignment done at 15,000 miles.

the dealer explained that Goodyear Eagles dont last more than 15-25K miles and the hybrid weight contributes to the tire wear.

my next car probably not be a Lexus, due to the fact that Lexus chose to put racing tires on a family vehicle that resulted in premature tire wear.

regards

chris hu san jose, calif

Reply to
kilohu2006

There are differnt types of Eagle tyres, tyre wear also depends on the driver Sounds to me like maybe you shouldnt buy a car

Reply to
old man

RX400h .... family vehicle..... Yea, right!

If you are not happy with the tire wear with that compound, try a harder tire, either Goodyear or another brand. Then you get to bitch about the harsh ride and the road noise. Or get some of them big rims, you know, them

28 inch shinny ones with the spinners and put them really thin rubbers on 'um. That would make the family real proud.

Or you could just go buy a Ford. I got some Firestones I'll sell ya cheap.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Larry Rogers

Speaking of tires, I just traded my 2000 Avalon XLS for a 2007 Lexus ES 350. The Avalon had Michelin tires that road and lasted beautifully. The new Lexus came with 17-inch Bridgestones. What difference should I expect from these cheaper tires?

Graybeard

Reply to
Graybeard

I am not the one to ask about Bridgestone tires. Long ago motorcycle experience. I found Bridgestones to be crap. I always ran Pirelli's on the two-wheeler. Whole different mindset when you only have two to depend on. Currently on the RX300, I'm running Goodrich. Guess that makes me a Neanderthal.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Larry

In my experience, neither the OEM Goodyear or Michelin's do well on treadlife.

Check out the Bridgestone H/L Alenza. It is a 60,000 mile rated tire that comes in the 235/55/18 size that fits your RX.

Anonymous

The original tires will probably only last around 25,000 miles or so.

Reply to
Ray O

Bridgestones on Lexus? I would expect Pirelli or Michelins given the profit margins on the Lexus line. Looks like Toyota cost cutting is in full gear.

IMO Bridgestone, which also owns Firestone and makes some Brdigestone tires in the US in Firestone plants, are not good tires at all. Premature wear is a common complaint Googling around. And Firestones were involved in many roll-over accidents. Sure, Ford was partly responsible but Firestones were the ones recalled.

Go to a tire store and look at the much thinner side walls. Don't carry loved ones, carry in-laws. ;-)

Reply to
johngdole

Absolutely. The Pirellis and Michelins are considered premium tires. Bridgestones/Firestones are at the bottom.

Reply to
johngdole

BTW, the 2007 ES350 is being investigated by the Feds for sudden acceleration. So Bridgestones may be the lesser concerns.

"Federal regulators have stepped up an investigation into 98,454 Lexus ES 350 sedans after amassing 40 reports of unintended acceleration, including eight crashes and 12 injuries, along with cases in which drivers said their cars stopped only after an accident."

Full article at:

johngdole

I saw a news piece on this recently, they attributed it to a slipped floor mat jamming the pedal. Not sure if that was the final analysis. The only issue I've had with my 02 es300 is with the computer controlled engine/tranny NOT giving me power when I needed it, but never the other way around.

Reply to
Steve Larson

I just put Michelin Primacy tires on my 02 es300. Do some online research into the treadlife and mileage warranty on different tires, and make the selection that works best for you. A fast-wearing tire is usually more sticky on the road, so at least it was a safe 17000 miles for you.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Yeah, people have complained these cars don't move. But if the mat slipped under the pedal, wouldn't the car slow down? I think people would notice if the mat got on top of the pedal? No?

Reply to
johngdole

With the problems I've had with my tranny and accelerator making up their own mind when they should work, rather than trusting me, the driver, I would LOVE to see Lexus/Toyota nailed for an actual problem. I hate it when big companies make decisions and then turn a deaf ear, because they have some other hidden agenda that isn't consumer-friendly. Will be interesting to see if the investigation goes anywhere significant.

Reply to
Steve Larson