pulsation on brake

hi again folks,

our RX300 has a bad pulse on the front right wheel. last summer i turned the rotor and the pulse disappeared for a few months, but now its back! what is recommended? A new rotor, or a new hub?

Thank you Tom

Reply to
Fish

Have the rotor resurfaced, can do this usually for like $20 a rotor. If it comes back again, then replace the rotor.

Reply to
NYLexSC

In my experience, brake rotors that have been turned to eliminate brake pulsation will usually cause pulsation a short time later.

Check the rotor runout - if it is not true, then I recommend replacing both front rotors instead of machining them.

Also, check the caliper slides to make sure they are not stuck, and use a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts to approx. 75 ft-lbs.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

Again, thanks, excellent advice. Actually I had previous vehicles that had brakes that stuck, so i filed the groove out a little better and never had the problem recur.

Tom

Reply to
Fish

Tom,

The caliper slides are the sleeves that the bolts that hold the caliper body in place pass through. The bolts should be shiny clean and lubed with either caliper grease, wheel bearing grease, or anti-seize. The bolts pass through sleeves in the caliper body, and you should be able to push the sleeves in and out of both sides of the caliper body up to the limit of the rubber boots that hold the sleeves in place. People often clean up the bolts but forget the sleeves. If the sleeves do not move freely, carefully pull back the boots and see if you can use a dowl to push them out and get the inner and outer diameter cleaned up and lubed with the same stuff you use on the bolts.

The keyway that the square tabs on the pads sit in should also be clean - I use a wire brush in a Dremel tool to clean up the keyway. The danger of using a file to enlarge the keyway is that you can get a clicking or knocking noise when you apply the brakes or when you change direction and apply the brakes. While it is not dangerous, it is annoying, and the tab on the pads can jam in the keyway and eventually cause a pulsation. I have seen this problem with some aftermarket pads, which is one more reason I always recommend OEM brake parts.

I know that people often use aftermarket parts because they perceive them to be of similar or equal quality to OEM parts for less money, but in my experience, the way that aftermarket parts fit and perform is hit-or-miss - an aftermarket brand can be great on some applications and terrible in another, so if Acme widgets worked great in your Corolla, they may not be so great in your Camry. I sometimes use aftermarket parts, but stick to OEM for brake parts, ignition parts, and oil filters.

Reply to
Ray O

I read you on this one Ray.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fish

You're welcome, and good luck with the diagnosis and fix!

Reply to
Ray O