Questions regarding an LS400

Does anybody know if the 93 model LS has an immobiliser built in? Reason I'm asking is that my insurer won't cover me for theft without it and I need to figure out if I'm going to have to spring for an additional immobiliser

Also, does anybody have any experience in doing mechanical work on one of these? I've got a sheared wheel stud to replace (Previous owner apparently torqued it up to "A half turn past bloody tight" accordign to the garage who spent 15 minutes with an air wrench undoing the rest of them) - so, any idea how difficult wheel studs are to replace on these?

Also, I'm told there's a broken wire in the drivers seat which is supposed to link the motors for recline - again, any experience of replacing these would be appreciated.

I've just bought this as a 12yo car for not very much money, so I'd expected a few niggles, however the rules buying a £3k car are very different from buying a £55k car - starting with "Don't use the franchise dealers for they will ream you coming and going"

Thanks for any help on these ones.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

New Owner

Basically because £3k is $6k which is rather a lot of money to be out if somebody decides to steal the car.

UK insurance is a little odd - lowest you get is "3rd Party" which is property damage liability - covers others in the event you hit them basically.

Above that is "3rd Party Fire and Theft" which covers you in the event your car is stolen or torched. Problem is that this is the minimum level to also cover things like vehicle contents against theft - I tend to carry some kit which is valued much the same as the car in it and can't really afford to have that uninsured (No - insuring the kit itself isn't really an option either)

The main problem is that the LS400 is a group 19 car - almost as hefty an insurance risk as it's possible to get, and almost no insurer will cover it

3rd Party only - TPFT is the lowest cover I can get, and I can't afford to have the policy declared void because of an exception - having void insurance is a criminal offence in the UK.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

The car does not have immobiliser, that started in 97. The studs arent very hard to replace, front or rear all you need to do is remove the caliper and rotor, hammer it out, then pull the new one in. An easy way is to lube it up with some anti-sieze, slide the new stud in, use an axle nut bottom side up as a washer, and pull it in slowly with an impact (or a large ratchet, but that takes alot of time and effort). As for the seat, do you mean the cable is broken? Either way its not real difficult to pull the seat out and work on the track and motors, theres a fair amount of room.

Reply to
drinkdrivegotojail