Radiator Longevity

Anybody have any data on how long a radiator would last on a 94 Es300? Just replaced mine with a crack/leak in the lower tank.

-d

Reply to
dulles

I'd guess about 10 years (sorry I can't resist)

Reply to
chip

Mine lasted maybe a year less. I've got a 92. But the replacement was much cheaper than I had expected. Plastic radiator = no rust, but it did crack a leak, like yours. Out of nowhere, no warning.

CB

Reply to
Cloud Burst

The non-metallic radiators have been around for several years even as OE (Original Equipment) in some cars. Two advantages; cheaper for the manufacturer and lighter weight. The disadvantages of course befall the owner. For one, they fail more often, but usually well beyond the warranty period. Another disadvantage is that they're usually not repairable and so require replacement. Cracks in OEM units are more associated with vehicle age than mileage and are seen more often after 10+ years in about 10% of the cars still on the road. Of course the older the vehicle, the higher the failure rate. Aftermarket replacements are comparatively cheap, usually $200 or less, but as some of you have already seen, do not last as long as the original. It's been reported that even expensive "dealer" replacements don't seem to last as long as the original.

Reply to
New Owner