Radio Replacement

Has anyone replaced the stock radio of the LS 400. I have a dash mounted GPS unit, and the NYS troopers keep pulling me over because they think that it is a radar detector. I am therefore, looking to replace it with an indash motorized unit.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

To my knowledge no one makes an "in-dash" aftermarket replacement radio for the Lexus LS series. The wiring harness is proprietary and as far as I know, no aftermarket manufacturer has ever "broken the code" (so to speak) that would allow them to make a wiring harness adapter. I have seen some very nice custom installations done by American Audio Concepts, but all were quite expensive as they involved extensive custom dash work that made everything "look factory". Just guessing, these were probably $500~1000 installation jobs PLUS whatever the cost of the radio & sound system.

Personally I would look for an alternative GPS system to the one you have now. I'm sure this would be the least expensive alternative.

Reply to
New Owner

Why are state kops allowed to pull you over for a radar detector in New York? I thought the only state where they are illegal is Va, which is just useless as a state anyway being so full of federal employees.

Reply to
mcbrue

Why are state kops allowed to pull you over for a radar detector in New York? I thought the only state where they are illegal is Va, which is just useless as a state anyway being so full of federal employees.

Reply to
mcbrue

Travis Jordan

They ostensibly stop drivers for speeding then when the argument is made that we are not speeding they say " Of course you were. Why then are you using a radar detector?" When told that the item is not a radar detector, then then write a bogus ticket that is hard to beat. This usually happens on upstate highways. It is often more expedient to pay the fine than to travel two hundred miles to the backwoods to challenge the cops.

===========BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400

1999 E320 4-Matic

mcbrue wrote:

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

Crutchfiled sells items that they claim are compatible with the LS.

===========BuckShot LeFunk =1998 LS 400

1999 E320 4-Matic

New Owner wrote:

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

None of this makes radar detectors "illegal" in your state.

Reply to
Travis Jordan