Re: 350RX is now a "Soccermommobile"

If you don't want to spend the big $$s for their Nav system, there is NO

>place to plug in your own Garmin or Tom-Tom.......Also, there is NO place to >plug in a radar detector.......

I could use some clarity here.

The Lexus website says the 350 RX has:

- Sliding front center console with storage bin, dual power outlets and pass-through storage

- Accessory power outlet in front center stack, rear console box and rear cargo area

and as a $100 option:

-Two-prong 120V AC power outlet

Seems to me a portable GPS or radar detector ought to go in one of those?

Reply to
kt277x

The situation is as follows: There are two power outlets and a USB port in the center console. To access these 1) stop the vehicle, as you can't fully open the center console to get at anything while driving 2) remove the small tray for loose items 3) remove the console liner 4) get a flashlight and fish around until you get the device plugged in 5)reinstall the console liner box, routing the power up and out of the console 6) reinstall the small tray for loose items. Want to unplug the device? Reverse the above process. That is why most 350 owners get extender cords for the accessory power outlets. The OP is a smoker, and there is no provision for a lighter or ashtray.

Reply to
Wayne

That does seem to be a bit of a pain in the ass. Is the IS250 that convoluted? I've been thinking of one of these or a G37.

Reply to
kt277x

Wayne wrote on 5/25/10 8:52 PM:

The designers put their heads together and VOILA!!!.....they came up with an ashtray......it's a cheap plastic cup that fits into one of the cupholders in the center.......If you wrap it in something like velcro, it will even stop rattling as it doesn't fit very well........If you buy two of them, you could keep a few books of matches in the other one.........

Reply to
Blash

- Not sure. But on one of my service visits I was given a loaner 2010 IS. I carried along a GPS unit and plugged it into a traditional outlet....don't remember exactly where it was, but it wasn't hosed up like the 350.

Reply to
Wayne

Really?

Good God, the amount of crap that people pass as "information" these days...

And if *I* can buy and install this, any dealer can as well--and would be happy to sell that service:

Elmo P. Shagnasty

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote on 5/26/10 6:31 AM:

If you had read this thread, you would have seen that the dealer finally provided this plastic cup and wrapped it in velcro so it wouldn't rattle........Now.....what is your suggestion for a lighter???

Reply to
Blash

So you purchase a new vehicle and you want to stink it up with disgusting cigarette smoke. I sure hope you keep the car for at least 10 years because if you try and sell that vehicle and it smells like a garbage heap, you will lose thousands.

There is a reason they don't put ashtrays in vehicles any more.

Reply to
Bill Yanaire, ESQ

Bill Yanaire, ESQ wrote on 5/26/10 9:53 AM:

I have traded EVERY year since the '70's.....Thank you for worrying about my finances, but even though you may find this hard to believe, there are people who can afford to do this.......

"It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere."

Reply to
Blash

Certain features are a "given". Even non-smokers like to have accessible accessory sockets and ashtrays. The link you supplied gives an after -the -fact drop-in piece of crap, pretend ashtray. Contrast that drop in unit with the 99 RX ashtray....mounted out of the way on the center console, push to open cover, METAL ashtray, with illumination. A perfect place for coins and keys to the shooting range.

Reply to
Wayne

Wayne wrote on 5/26/10 10:50 AM:

Many thanks for an intelligent reply.......it seems to be a rarity here.......

Reply to
Blash

Lucky you. In that case it doesn't matter.

Reply to
Bill Yanaire, ESQ

Not at all. And like I said, ashtrays have been optional for 10-15 years now. They are no more a given than are 8 cylinder engines.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Bullshit.

If so, you'd have noticed that EVERY car you've "traded" up to in the last 10 years does not include an ashtray, that the ashtray is an option you have to buy and install.

So you're nothing but a worthless troll.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote on 5/26/10 12:59 PM:

That may be the case in your Yugo.........

First Law of Winning Arguments: "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."

Reply to
Blash

I have never seen a car without ashtrays, but I don't doubt that they exist somewhere. However, the 2010 RX350 is the first car I have ever seen with what appear to be deliberately hidden accessory outlets, such that plugging in/removing a plug is exceedingly difficult while driving.

Out of cursiosity.....with your opinions on the RX350 features...do you own one?

Reply to
Wayne

Wayne wrote on 5/26/10 1:53 PM:

It is the most poorly thought-out cars I have ever owned......I took one out with the sales-manager of the dealership to go to for lunch......I found the car had easy access(I'm coming off some back surgery) and a nice ride..... In the past, I had only owned LS & SC models and was ripe for something different.........I did NOT question him on the basics as I had assumed they would maintain the quality of their previous cars.......I NEVER expected such a drop from previous levels so when we returned, I picked one out of their inventory, told them to wash it, gave him a check and drove it home...... The lack of lighter/ashtray, awkward positioning of center console, features missing that I was used to on my last LS, and many other small goof-ups just aggravate me because I was used to a higher quality car.....

Reply to
Blash

This is just dumb. You obviously don't have any appreciation for money. You might as well throw it down the toilet.

Reply to
David Z

And you probably overpaid by about $3,000 or more.

Reply to
David Z

David Z wrote on 5/26/10 5:41 PM:

Anything is possible.......