Re: Avalon almost equals Lexus??

Avalon is made for the US market only and is more comparable to your grandfather's Buick, although the latest generation has improved a bit. An enlarged Camry chassis made to look more like a combo of LS/ GS. But reviews (an example below) seem to consider it a clunker like prior Avalons. That's why I'd suggest the Lexus ES, because the ES is a better Camry than the Avalon.

But if you need to spend more money than the ES then just get a BMW 3 series. BMW's engineering is lightyears ahead of Toyota/Lexus. To me that's not even a comparison. However, the new Cadillac CTS is considered #2 behind BMW's 3-series in luxury performance.

All: > I read somewhere on the net that these car reviewers thought that the

Avalon was just a step below a

Lexus or BMW. Any opinions on that? > > Keith
Reply to
johngdole

They are three different cars, regardless of the ignorance you love to flaunt here.

Where to start...

Some 3 series are more money than some ES models, some are not. Also, the Lexus model that compares to a 3 series BMW would be an IS, not an ES. And how you would consider a Cadillac CTS to be competing against those models is just plain idiotic, even for you.

Reply to
DaveW

BMW 3 series is not anywhere near as large (interior space) as a Avalon, or even a Camry. No one should be buying an Avalon unless they need space for 5 adults on a regular basis--A Camry XLE V6 would be just as good, and an ES350 would be better (for just a few thousand more).

Small to medium size drivers who don't have adults in the rear seat very often, would enjoy a BMW 3 series, but the reliability is relatively poor compared to a Camry and repairs are very expensive. You would need at least a BMW 5 series to approach the interior size of a Camry, and a 7 series to approach the interior size of an Avalon.

Reply to
Mark A

There are certainly many factors, such as seating, cargo room, etc, to consider. But most cars aren't filled to capacity at all times. Sure so the owner should decide what's suitable.

As far as the new Cadillac CTS goes, the initial version didn't fare so well I agree. But the latest revision got high marks from reviewers. While I won't get a CTS with similar amounts of money (I'd get the BMW 3 instead), I still respect reviewers from different magazines when they agree.

People have different opinions and I respect that, and getting a Lexus is just plain idiotic.

Reply to
johngdole

For some people, a 3-series BMW is filled to capacity when only the driver is in it.

Reply to
Mark A

Well, econo vans have more room than all these, but I'm comparing cars of a price range (entry level luxury).

Of course there are different factors in purchase decisions. And I don't think Warren Buffet is going to trade in his Caddys and Lincoln Town Cars for Camrys (or econo vans) any time soon because of room or a fraction of dependability percentage.

For example, BMW/Mini held best resale value for the 2006 model year even in the picky Japanese market because people there want them (and Lexus while improved still wasn't selling well in Japan relative to Mercedes and BMW).

xxx

BMW MINI TOPS USED-CAR RESALE VALUE RANKING IN JAPAN, LEXUS NO 2.

"The 2006 model year winners of Kelley Blue Book's Best Resale Value Awards are:

2006 Best Resale Value: Brand: BMW and Mini (Tie)"

Reply to
johngdole

Reply to
johngdole

I see. You're clearly very respectful of others' opinions.

Reply to
DaveW

Ahead in engineering, maybe. Performance, perhaps. But what about RELIABILITY. Don't German autos require a LOT more repairs??

Reply to
sharx35

I thought that Warren Buffet usually drove a pick-up.

Reply to
sharx35

We had a 2001 Avalon. It was a clunker. The latest are supposed to be worse.

On the other hand my wife got a 2008 Camry Hybrid a month or so ago. Extremely impressive car all around.

Reply to
Art

Is that you McBrew-jerk? Have you changed your name to protect your stupidity?

2008 LS600hL -- running great!

GIga

((((((((( GLGA !!!!! )))))))

Was so afraid you had died and gone to your eternal reward without your fan to cool you !

mcbrue

Reply to
mcbrue

Still having trouble reading?

Surprised no snide comments about the LS600hL. Worth every penny I paid for it.

Reply to
GIga

Avalon is always an also-ran. A piece of junk from what I read. You would think a modified Camry to at least match the Camry. Noooo, it's an Avalon. Just recycle it.

Reply to
johngdole