Re: Is an extended warrantee worth it?

You need to read the language on the extended warranty; most extended warranties are not transferrable (and hence would not provide any benefit to a subsequent potential buyer). They differ from the manufacturer's warranty which attaches to any owner of the vehcile during the 3-5 year initial period (depending on manufacturer). My experience: With my 1993 LS400 I had over $4000 of repairs between 72k and 91k miles, but did not have an extended warranty. With my 1998 LS400, I had about $500 of repairs during the same interval, but purchased a warranty (I lost). On my 1994, no problems yet, but I've only got 18k miles and still under manf. warranty.

I have an '03 LS430 with 49000 miles on it. > > I plan on keeping the car 2 more years until the new '07 comes out. > > If I'm still under 50,000 miles, I can get a 100,000 mile extended > Lexus bumper to bumper warrantee for about $2300. > > I wonder if the resale value in 2 years of my car with about 80,000 > miles will be enhanced enough with the warrantee to make it pay for > itself. > > Anyone have any experience with this?

No. I've never seen a Lexus break down and require a major repair. Try investing the warranty money in a GIC or bond or something and if you need to have a big repair, use that money. I bet you will win in the long run and not even touch the money.

Reply to
The Great Gazoo