Re: It's been awful quite around here. What no more negative reports on Toyota?

Well?

- It's cuz the Fords, Chevvys, and Chryslers have also had problems.

Reply to
Wayne

Actually I am looking for a new car. From the reviews my top choice was the ES350. It drove very well, but I had trouble seeing out the windows. It was like looking through narrow slits. I have been informed that the narrow slits make the car safer because there is more steel to protect the occupants, or that it makes the car more aerodynamic. Or it just some silly marketing fad?

After having driven samples our top choices are Nissan Altima, Hyundia Azera, and Subaru Legacy. Our current car is an Avalon.

Reply to
Ray

Design fad. The safety statement ws something the salesman made up becasue it sounded plausible and doesn't sound as silly as saying the windows are short becasue some stylist liked it that way.

Did you even look at a domestic vehicle?

I listen to CarTalk on NPR. Based on the calls to that show, I think Subarus must be the least reliable, most recommended by CarTalk vehicles on the planet. They constantly recommend them, yet they constantly get calls from people with Subarus that appear to have "normal" Sabura problems (bad clutches, oil leaks, etc.). I think I would scratch the Subrau off the list. In fact, if you listen to CarTalk, you should scratch Nissan off the list too. They get lots of calls for those as well. They hardly ever get a call for a Toyota or a Ford unless the car is fiftenn years old with 200,000 miles.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Vehicles that we have looked at and rejected include Buick, Cadillac CTS, BMW 5 series, Toyota Camry, Honda accord, Acura TL. Jury still out on another Avalon. We don't like the new one as well as our present one.

Good point. Consumer Reports seem to be OK with our choices. J.D. Powers gives bad marks for the Subaru so it is trailing the list. I had a 1983 Subaru station wagon, my son inherited it. He got rid of it when it was 20 years old. It didn't have any major problems. Same goes for a 1989 Toyota Celica which he just sold. For personal reasons I will never buy a Ford. Chrysler / Fiat will probably go bankrupt for a third time. Any other suggestions? I really wanted to like the Lexus.

Reply to
Ray

I own a 2004 ES330. Despite the hesitating/jerky transmission, I like the car a lot. I'm very glad I bought it.

While getting my car serviced about 6 months ago, I was given a 2009(?) ES as a loaner. I agree with you about the poor visibility, particularly out the rear view mirror. Also, my recollection is that the handling was mediocre. Other than those issues, I liked the driving experience. I'm not pleased with the direction that Lexus is taking, but if I had to buy a new car tomorrow, I can't think of a car I'd pick over the ES. Fortunately, I don't have to buy a car tomorrow.

Reply to
David Z

My wife is in the market for a car, and I will be driving it on occasion. Based on renting an Avalon a couple of years back, and the fact that we have a local Toyota dealer (nearest Lexus is 25 miles away) we looked at the Avalon. Nice car, but at 6 feet 2 inches, there simply wasn't enough legroom for me. That's all I did....push the seat all the way back...squeeze in....squeeze out, and head for the Lexus dealer.

Reply to
Wayne