Re: Maintenance cost on ES or IS series

I bought new OEM pads for my IS300 mail order and since the disks (rotors) were smooth and there had not been any problems with pulsing, I just dressed them with a little Scotch Brite sanding pads and some elbow grease and then popped in the new pads. Disk brakes are easy to service and buying the set of pads for the front and rear was under $100.

I think this line about replacing the rotor is BS, unless they are too warped or grooved to be turned.

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand

Ah! so that is what a rotor is. This side of the pond they are only replaced if warped / excessively grouved or worn too thin and certainly never just because the pads need replacing.

Reply to
old man

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 05:30:19 GMT, "Jeff Bertrand" graced this newsgroup with:

it *is* BS but a huge money maker for brake shops. You're right, if the rotor looks in good shape, cross hatch the rotors with some 400 grit sandpaper and slap the new pads on them. And if the pads prematurely wear, they weren't that expensive in the first place.

Also, rotors aren't that expensive to replace. And they're pretty easy to swap out. If my rotors look worn, I just order new pads and a rotor at one time online and swap the whole mess out. Then I know everything is new (check your caliper pistons too where your down there to make sure they're properly lubricated and working).

Reply to
kegler