Re: Wrong Oil

I did that once on a 98 LS430 I used to own. I had my oil changed at the local carwash ($25) because I was in a hurry and didn't particularly want to pay the $50 the dealer charged anyway. What I found out, later, when I returned to the dealer for my next oil change, was that when the prior bozo changed my oil, he cross-threaded my oil drain plug. Thanks God he jammed it up there so far, the oil didn;t drain out. To have it re-tapped cost me $425. However, the dealer did help me out drafting a note that I used with the car wash to help me recoup my loss (litigation avoided).

Based on my experience, I will never have my oil routinely changed at any place other than a Lexus dealership. When you pay over $50k for a vehicle, the last thing you need as an idiot, who doesn't give a flip about your car, ruining it. Some of those places don't even have enough insurance to pay your damages, much less the two years it will take getting it in our big city court systems. There is a saying: "Penny wise and pound foolish." Save $20-25 dollars on your oil change but end up buying yourself a new engine.

I respect those owners who do it themselves, as they will take the care to replace the plug correctly. But for the rest of us, be advised of my experience and watch out. g

OK, I was cheap. I went for the $19.95 oil change at a local "PROCARE" > chain. I see from the invoice that they put 10-30W into my '02 ES300 > instead > of the 5W-30 it says under the hood. Is this something to worry about? > >

Well, there ARE other professional service shops out there.

Just because it's not a Lexus dealer doesn't mean it's the same as that car wash.

I mean, come on--what kind of idiot gets his oil changed at the local car wash, anyway? That's like getting your "fresh shrimp" from a guy on the side of the road outside Houston.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I hear ya...... I've also seen 'fresh shrimp' offered out of a rusty Ford pick-up just outside of Toronto.

Reply to
The Great Gazoo