Remote Car Starter for 2004 ES

With the cold weather here, I'm thinking about getting a remote car starter on my 2004 ES. Called the Lexus dealer and they want $455 to install ($180 parts and $275 labor). They would install my valet key in the dashboard (for the fob). If I want them to cut an extra valet key to put in the dashboard, the want another $125. The device will work with my current key (no need for separate remote unit). To start the car, I would hit lock 3 times. There's no confirmation feature and the device would only work about

30 feet away, just like my current key features (lock, unlock, trunk).

I also called a local installation place that was well recommended. They use Directed Electronics equipment including Viper and Avital. They want $229 to install a basic unit. The problem is that with Lexus/Toyota cars, when the engine is running, the other key features (lock, unlock, trunk) are disabled. That means that once the car is started, I would need to key open the door the old fashion way (i.e., the buttons would be disabled). To get around that, I would need spend another $50 to get a unit with auto door lock/unlock & trunk capabilities. Also, for another $100, I could get a unit that confirms when the car is started. These units claim to work up to

2000' away.

Any thoughts/comments? I'm reluctant to have after-market equipment installed on my car. My past experience tells me that after-market equipment tends to be problematic.

Reply to
David Z

When I was a factory rep for Toyota, the most common cause of electrical problems like no-start, stalling, battery drain, etc. was aftermarket security and remote starter systems. As far as I know, Toyota/Lexus did not offer a remote start system as a factory or dealer installed accessory so they are all aftermarket.

As much as a remote start system would be nice on very cold or hot days, I'd pass and let the very good automatic climate control system and heated/cooled seats do their job.

Reply to
Ray O

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your comments, Ray.

Reply to
David Z

You're welcome!

Reply to