Replacement for a 2004 Lexus CD changer that does MP3?

Anyone know if there is a plug in replacement for the 2004 Lexus CD changer that will do MP3s? I was playing around with the idea of attaching an ipod, but that setup is just too silly for a nice car. A CD changer that would just replace the 6 disk cd changer would work best... anyone know of one?

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Buckshop LeFunk

I doubt that a different changer will allow the unit to play MP3. The changer just holds the CDs. The whole unit would have to be designed to play MP3s.

Reply to
David Z

I tried an aftermarket FM transmitter for my Zen Jukebox (it's a hard drive based MP3 player, sort of like an iPod) and the sound was poor. I returned it for a refund. What unit are you using and how's the sound quality?

Reply to
David Z

Alpine JVC and Kenwood all have CD changers that can take MP3 CDs (cds burned as data - so you can put 200 songs per cd)... So I want this type of a changer to replace my current one and be integrated with the current Levinson stereo.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Not gonna happen, sorry.

The Lexus data protocol is proprietary. No aftermarket units will work with a Lexus handshake.

Reply to
Masterson

Reply to
Buckshop LeFunk

The data protocol is standard across all CD players, its PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) -- there is no encryption on CDs for data playback, the issue here is the right cables. PIE makes a cable that works with older Lexus models. I am sure something like this must exist somewhere...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Your confused.

PIE, Peripheral, Blitzsafe, Terk, and others make Protocol adaptors, or translators, that allow two different protocols to communicate. PCM has nothing to do with it, that is only internal to each unit.

No, there isn't. Not for a 2004 Lexus.

Reply to
Masterson

OK, there is no different protocol of communication between a cd player and a radio. They are all the same. Where you may have differences is in functions, like stop, skip, playback, etc. These might be proprietary. For example, crutchfield sells 2 different brands of non OEM CD changers that fit into a lexus - 2004 model for that matter. I know, because I just put one of these in a friends car - his kid broke the cd changer in his new LS. The dealer wanted $700 to replace the unit. He bought one for $300 and it works great, is compatible with the navigation system and is 8 cds instead of 6. So this is how I started the inquiry. If a company can sell a replacement, why not make one that can decode MP3s and sell them as plug and play replacement. Actually there are some for BMWs and Audis that do that. So I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience.

As a matter of fact, the Japanese version of the SC430 - the Toyota Soarer, does decode MP3s and also plays regular DVDs in the spot where you put your navigation disk.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Last time we do this..... If you still disagree, good luck to yaw.......I'm done.

Amp of America, makers of Peripheral adaptors (industry leader)

Blitzsafe, another large manufacture of CD changer adaptors Only makes an adaptor for 98-02 Lexus with the Nak systems. These adaptors have a recall on them, as they only work with a very limited PROTOCOL! call them yourself.

PIE, or Precision Interface Electronics has there Application guide even called "Protocol Converter"

Your correct, if its the same manufacter. ie. Kenwood to Kenwood

Nope. That is why the three companies above have application guides.

They are proprietary, thats what I have been telling you.

I have no idea where you get this info, I spent several minutes looking at

and didnt find anything that fit into a Lexus. Care to post a link? How about this one?
The above link clearly shows that crutchfield doesnt offer a lexus protocol changer.

Reply to
Masterson