Right side windows don't go down from driver side - up works - ES300/1995

Hi All,

Any ideas what could be causing both windows on the right side to be inoperable from driver side.

I can lean over and lower the window from respective switches and THEN bring it up from the driver side.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the root cause.

ALSO - is there a substitute for hood pistons - they don't hold the hood up and cost more than $300...

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
newsgroups

I use an umbrella :)

Reply to
old man

With a wiring diagram, you can check the master switch function. If you cannot find one for your Lexus, try this site

and use the section for the Generation 3 Camry.

Try your local auto parts store for aftermarket hood support lifts. Lifts for a 1995 Camry are something like $24 each at Autozone and take about 10 minutes to replace.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a single tailgate lift/stay for a 1990 camry estate in New Malden Sy, UK, if anyone wants it. Near London.

Reply to
charles

Thanks for that Link. It is good.

I was hoping for some heuristic guess from the gurus for a novice (somewhat handy though) person, using the information that the window does work using the button on the passenger side.

It also works from driver side - only for bringing it up though.

Thanks again for that link.

AJ

Reply to
newsgroups

My guess is that the master switch is bad, which is why I suggested checking it. I do not recommend replacing the master switch without first checking its function. All you need is a wiring diagrm and multi-meter to check it out.

Reply to
Ray O

You are right Ray - I will try it today.

Many thanks again for your help.

Reply to
newsgroups

You're welcome! Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Related problem - appeared today - 2003 ES. Right rear window doesn't move with either driver or local door switch, but you can hear what sounds like a relay click in that door with each button actuation, up or down. I had my daughter put downward pressure on the window to see if it was just sticking, but no go. Just a guess before looking at the wiring diagram, would be the motor. Ray?

Thanks,

Reply to
St. John Smythe

If the driver's window is often open while it is raining, the contacts in the master switch can become corroded over time from the moisture that gets on it, which is why I think the driver's master switch tends to fail more often than other switches on some cars.

In the case of the right rear window, I'd guess that the motor may be bad or the regulator is stuck or binding. An easy way to check the window is to apply 12 volts directly to the motor to see if it moves up or down. There are 2 sets of contacts on the motor connector for up and down. Just watch your fingers so they don't get pinched in the regulator. If applying 12 volts doesn't work, then the motor is suspect.

Reply to
Ray O