Road Trip! Somewhat chilly, though.

Down in the cap city today we had the coronation of the governor. So it was a nice little trip there and back. But on the way back, the outside temp was 34 to 36 and I had the temp set on 72 inside. The duct under the dash blew nice warm air, but the dash vent on my side of the car kept blowing cold air the whole time. So this being a true luxury car, I shut the vent. And since cold still leaked out, I raised the temp inside which caused it finaly to at least go neutral. So the big question - is there a way to have that done for me automaticaly by the heating system? Maybe it is just too complex for such a simpleton as myself to figure it out. Can't see why I should have to raise the temp more than 36 degrees over the outside temp to get the cold air to shut down and not cancel out the nice warm air coming in. I still think I should be able to set the temp I want, and then let the system do it for me without having to tweak and twiddle and fiddle and rotate and open and close and jiggle and mess around with the heater when I am driving along trying to get a quick little nap or two in.

Reply to
mcbrue

The automatic climate works by trying to get the cabin air temperature to the temperature setting. It does this by sampling the air temp and then adjusting fan speed, heater control valve, and dampers. When the set temp is higher than the cabin temp, the system will blow warm air to the floor in heat (floor) mode, and as the cabin temp approaches the set temp, it will move some air through the center vents in bi-level mode and then most of the air will come though the center vents. Also, as the cabin temp approaches the set temp, the system will blend outside air with conditioned air so that fresh air circulates in the cabin.

You can monitor where they system is directing air by pushing the climate button on the navigation screen. When the system is in heat (floor) mode, little or no air should be coming out of the center vents. If you are getting lots of air, then the system needs repair or adjusting. I personally don't care to have lots of air blowing on my face, so I usually have the driver's side center vent directed upwards towards the roof and just leave the system in full automatic mode.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray. That sound like the way that things should work. And I have asked the Lexus store guys about it but they tell me it is normal to have to jack the temp up. When I get the cold air coming out the drivers side vent, I look at the climate display and it shows the floor vents in use and then also later shows the floor and dash vents in use. I just haven't had an auto system do this blowing cold air on the driver and warm air everywhere else sort of trick before and it is truly frustrating to be told it is normal for the car. Sounds like I need to be a bit more assertive with the service writers.

Reply to
mcbrue

Keep in mind that "room temperature" is around 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I like the car on the cool side so I set it for 70 or 72 and turn on the seat warmers. Try setting the temp a little higher to see if the system works better for you.

Reply to
Ray O

*READ* your owner's manual; it has some nice diagrams showing you the intended/normal air flow with various settings. It's not exactly what you might have expected.
Reply to
St. John Smythe