Roof Rack For 1999 RX300

Hello,

My wife has a 1999 RX300. It has two indented grooved paths on the roof for what I believe are known as rack towers.

We want to be able to carry a luggage box this summer because we will be transporting 3 adults for about 10 days, and don't have the room inside the vehicle for all the luggage.

The car also has a sunroof. We would appreciate any assistance with regard to what to order and from whom to order it from.

Thank you

Reply to
2good2btrue

Rather than trying to install a factory roof rack, which requires drilling, I recommend either a Thule or Yakima roof rack system. Both offer excellent quality products and are sold at sporting goods stores, outdoor specialty stores like REI or Erehwon, and bike stores.

We have a Thule Evolution 1200 rooftop box that attaches to our factory rack but would obviously attach to a Thule rack as well. The aerodynamic shape is very quiet and has much less drag than the boxier rooftop box we had before. The Thule box is very waterproof, I've never had any water get in during severe thunderstorms and in snowstorms.

The biggest drawback to a rooftop cargo system is having to get stuff into the box. The higher the vehicle, the harder it is to get stuff in, and the additional drag of having something up there.

The Thule Terrapin hitch box is another alternative. It attaches to a 2 inch receiver hitch and because it sits behind the vehicle, there is no additional drag to speak of. I believe the trailer hitch for the RX is

1-3/4" so you would need an adapter for it to fit. Places that install trailer hitches might have the adapter available.
Reply to
Ray O

Thank you. I'll contact the suppliers and get it done...

Reply to
2good2btrue