Rustproofing

Picking up a new RX330 soon and the dealer wants to sell me rust proofing. Is this really necessary? Car will be in upstate New York where there is plenty of salt on the roads.

Reply to
Cummins126

chip palmer

I work for a Midwestern Lexus dealer and we will not sell rustproofing on our cars as the factories warranty is better than and aftermarket warranty. If you do apply additional rustproofing you will void the manufacturers warranty. DON'T DO IT!!! Nut don't tell them another Lexus dealer told you so :)

Reply to
msb

I'll pile on. Today's cars don't need it, it probably doesn't do any good, and may do more harm than good. Avoid it. In fact, avoid all the paint protection, fabric protection, extended warranties, and other "packs" they will hard-sell you when you're with the finance guy. Just say no.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Hey Mark, I'm the finance guy and I have to take issue with one statement. The extended warranty makes sense for someone keeping the car along time, even a Lexus as they can typically cost double the price of the warranty to fix. The other stuff JUST CRAP!

Reply to
msb

You wouldn't be selling it, unless, on average, people paid more for the extended warranty then they got back in covered repairs. Otherwise, you'd lose money on every warranty and you don't.

However, if purchased as INSURANCE, to reduce risk and cap costs so the customer isn't surprised by a big repair bill they can't handle, it may make sense. But for the average customer, they're money ahead of they risk it.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Mark is right. I would add that the best thing to do is to take the money you would have spent on the extended warranty and put it in an interest bearing account and only use it for repairs, if needed (not ordinary maintaince). Problem is, people do not do this, and then have to struggle with a large out of warranty repair bill from time to time. So, if you have no financial discipline, go with the extended warranty, even though on average you will pay more for it than you will recover. If you can save some money, forget the extended warranty. Steve

Reply to
sf/gf

You probably don't need. Key word is "probably". I have seen Lexi with rust (LS around wheel openings). If you are going to keep the car for 10 years and live in the rust belt, I would call "probably" not good enough. I'd get the rust proofing, but only the kind that is a viscous liquid that never dries out. Under no circumstances get the kind that turns brittle and cracks (Ziebart). That stuff promotes rust and I owned an F150 that had holes in the frame rails (not to mention the body) as a result of Ziebart rust proofing. (They did 3 rust repairs under warranty at a total cost of over $2,000. The repairs did not last.)

The viscous liquid kind is at worst harmless and at best will seal over rock impact sites where the galvanic coating might suffer damage from the impact. The stuff does ooze on very hot days, though. For a keeper car in the rust belt I'd get it, even with galvanized steel panels. Reason is that once rust starts, it's a lost war to control it. Spending an extra $400 on a $40,000 car for that little extra line of defense is well worth it.

Reply to
GRL