rx 300 replacement key

hello

just purchased a used lexus and only has one key. the key that i have does not lock the glove box. so as far as i have been told this is a sub key. i would like to make a spare key and i gathered that i can't cause it is not the master key. any help on this one???? i was told i would have to change the computer at a price of $1500.00 if i lost the key. so my question is how close to the ignition does this key have to be in order for the car to start?? i was thinking i could get a key just laser cut and not programed and hide the subkey next to the ignition would that work??? try to fool the system? will this work?? hummm

thanks

brian

Reply to
mowermanbp

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

There is nothing so annoying as arguing with somebody who knows what he is talking about!

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG

chack ebay for a replacement key and the web for programming instructions. Also check the newsgroups for previous answers to this (common) problem. Of course the dealer can provide a replacement if you don't mind paying their price. Alittle work on your end will find the desired results.

Reply to
T-WILL

Do you have a CARMAX near you?

They can make Lexus keys cheaper then the dealer.

Reply to
Masterson

I have had to replace one of these when the key came apart in my wife's purse. A new key will cost you about $200.00 and that does not include programming. We were also told by Lexus that if we lost the masterkey, you would have to replace the computer. We traded for a Pilot. Honda apparently does not have the same problem with replacement keys and can reprogram the computer on the vehicle for a very nominal charge,

Reply to
TWW